Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gear323 View Post
    It would be pretty cool if someone could modify this so that it can load a game off of a network share.
    It definitely would be great. With one tiny "problem" ... it would be far from simple modification / redirection like in case of replacing BD with mapped "local" folders (USB and / or card readers are still local in this interpretation). You'd need to code the whole new library (as there most probably isn't any present in the PS3's firmware most probably not even in SDKs) to access the nework drives and even if something (at least partially) usable will be hidden somewhere you'd need to dig deep and long to find it to be able to use that.

And - regards the speed - I see no problem with Gibabit LAN on both PS3 and NAS / iSCSI target

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can read the writing at all. Can you please do not make the font bigger?

Does this mean we can use ntfs externals with this ?

Big Grin

yeah, that's awesome news!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    It definitely would be great. With one tiny "problem" ... it would be far from simple modification / redirection like in case of replacing BD with mapped "local" folders (USB and / or card readers are still local in this interpretation). You'd need to code the whole new library (as there most probably isn't any present in the PS3's firmware most probably not even in SDKs) to access the nework drives and even if something (at least partially) usable will be hidden somewhere you'd need to dig deep and long to find it to be able to use that.

And - regards the speed - I see no problem with Gibabit LAN on both PS3 and NAS / iSCSI target
    The ps3 can read movies over the network with tversity.

Why not games ? And I read that there is a lan to usb adapter, would that work ?

Yes. The PS3 can read movies from my hard drive on my computer and play them with software like media center and playon. The videos on my computer can be stored on a NTFS drive and be over 4GB in size. I don't know how difficult it would be to code but it seems doable to me and it would also fix the over 4GB file size issue.
    Last edited by gear323; 09-28-2010 at 01:32 PM

ya, can play Wii games over a network and im pretty sure that wasnt built in to the Wii's system so it won't be that different on PS3.

I think you'd rather cut loading time in half, than double it!! I know what you meant, I'm just being nitpicky

Yes - it can play videos, music and pictures from the network media servers but it's a bit different protocol and mainly more or less linear access to the AV content comparing to the multiply access to the several files from virtual BD.

An - yes - there is an "unlimited" USB flash drive which basically works the way it plugs into the USB port and acts as normal USB drive while it in fact connects wirelessly to the host computer and use shared folder to store / display it's "content". This might be the hardware solution for those in hurry before software will be avilable to do so directly

Naaa, I have lots of time on my hands and want to double my loading times. I get a kick out of watching the progress bar slowly moving across the screen.

Actually it was late when I posted that. Thanks for the correction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast