Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    Peeps, sorry if this has been answered in some other post, and sorry for resurrecting a very old post, but I didn't find anything about it elsewhere. Recently I got a hold of an older ps3 and I was wondering what kind of flash it has, the 512MB one or the 128MB...

Do you guys know from which model number did it start having a smaller flash memory? Is there an easy way of knowing which kind of flash does it have?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The general rule of thumb, if its brand new (within the past year), its most likely the smaller flash, more generally, if the PS3 has backwards compatibility, it is usually the larger flashes, otherwise, the smaller.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the Info CJPC.

Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
    Thanks for the Info CJPC.
    No worries, that's what I'm here to do. Just of note, (I mentioned this in another dev post)

The old PS3 flashes were 2x128MB, while the new one is 1x16MB. There was some initial confusion, the info came to us from our Italian DEVS, hense the title. It is correct, just the wrong MB mb Mb happening (if that makes sense)

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    The general rule of thumb, if its brand new (within the past year), its most likely the smaller flash, more generally, if the PS3 has backwards compatibility, it is usually the larger flashes, otherwise, the smaller.
    hmmm It's from July 08. And it doesn't have backwards compatibility... So it probably has a small flash... Thanks for the info CJPC.

My two cents -

I'm guessing this would be a security reason.

I mean, think of it this way.

The only way we could *mod* data on the flash is by writing to it, changing the flash's containment size.

Sony probably thought ahead of this, and created a background service to watch changes in the flash, verify, and confirm any data modifications.

It also is read-only so if this daemon is bypassed somehow, we still couldn't write to it since it's on a ''fixed'' size.

And what I mean by fixed is that they have it set for each firmware that only allows a certain size allocation of the flash.
    Limiting how much they/we can use to store onto it.

It could also definitely be a reason of cost-effectiveness as well.

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News