Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I dont think they'd change that just for security reasons... I believe it's a cost reduction plan, but I know the console is gonna be hacked, no console has been unhackable, ps3 is not gonna be the first... hopefully.

Registered User psychospacefish's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It can't have been done for security reasons because the HDD is less secure than the flash. It's all encrypted, sure, but if it does become decrypted than it's simply a matter of anybody throwing their PS3 HDD in their PC's and putting CFW files on it... unless (and this is what I suspect) there are checksums of the firmware files stored in the NAND.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hah! So that's why consoles with firmware over 2.17 are unflashable?

Because additional checksums/hashes are stored on HDD!?

heheheheh.. maybe i am just feeling good.. but just cant help rubbing my hands and grinning on reading.

"Was it just cheaper to replace the flash with a smaller one, or was it a security decision? Were we getting too close to uncovering something on the flash that could lead to a hack in the system?"

thats a very very good News! But i dont think so that i buy the newer version :-S . MY 60Gig PS3 is all for me and its still nice.

Quote Originally Posted by psychospacefish View Post
    It can't have been done for security reasons because the HDD is less secure than the flash. It's all encrypted, sure, but if it does become decrypted than it's simply a matter of anybody throwing their PS3 HDD in their PC's and putting CFW files on it... unless (and this is what I suspect) there are checksums of the firmware files stored in the NAND.
    Thats what I was thinking. The HDD would be less secure.

It's a pretty interesting move no doubt about, but no doubt I think the devs are getting close to uncovering something in the flash. For now Sony's move is unclear but maybe we will find out what the true motive is later down the road.

flow Rebuilder 3.50 supports this kind of dumps for extraction purpose

Quote Originally Posted by psychospacefish View Post
    hashing files is very inconvenient. if any exploit is found in hashed file, then it is the end of security. most probably, files are signed by RSA or other asymmetric cipher.

the question to the developers is whether files stored on flash are just bootloaders (like PC BIOS) or hypervisor+OS is stored in flash, while user-level software is on harddrive.

is not important if these chip is cheaper, is not important if the chip is not full with data. sony is not able to modify the actual form of work of PS3, (if they change that, literaly screw up all the software actualy made) but they try to secure the exploits of actual system in hardware form not "software speaking". if Sony change that (the memory chip or any else), in that components "live" the posible exploit, is a fact.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News