Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Also doubt sony could patch something like this.

For homebrew there might be a game that accesses files on the hdd frequently. Possibly replacing those files with homebrew app files and initiating them throught the relevant .self in the "bluray drive". Rename the files to those the .self requests. When the hdd is decrypted and files can be moved off and on freely.

ha ha

how about we find a way to easily reproduce debug consoles.

That probably isn't possible.

To be honest, I would not go that far. It is not possible yet, but it may be the first step needed to getting things running.

However, there are always hurdles to get over these issues, the ID flags per console (saying its type), is a big one. Not to mention all of the other issues (keys keys keys)

But to be honest, it is more probable to convert a retail -> test, then to get code running right this moment stock on a retail.

yo so are there any current Dev Hacks in progress?

Lightbulb

You might want to know how other devices whose binaries must be signed have been hacked.
    In this case it is a TomTom. http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/attachments/696-slides_hacking_into_tomtom_go.pdf

It is in german, but I can translate parts of it if needed.

Actually, they searched for typical crypto constants in the bootloader and found MD5 and Blowfish ones. Then they disassembled the bootloader further and found the hash, the binaries need to be signed with.

Quote Originally Posted by xhugox View Post
    You might want to know how other devices whose binaries must be signed have been hacked.
    In this case it is a TomTom. http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/attachments/696-slides_hacking_into_tomtom_go.pdf

It is in german, but I can translate parts of it if needed.

Actually, they searched for typical crypto constants in the bootloader and found MD5 and Blowfish ones. Then they disassembled the bootloader further and found the hash, the binaries need to be signed with.
    But that's a totally different game. What you describe is that the binary's hash must fit. What we are talking here is Public-key Cryptography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography). In this scenario the key needed to sign the binaries (the private one) is not present in PS3 - it only holds the one needed to check if the binary is signed properly (the public one).

May I ask a couple questions...

What does everyone think is the most "hopeful" avenue of attack on the PS3 right now? Should we all be focusing on one goal?

And, since I do not know any programming language - but I do have an 80GB system, is there anything I can do to help? What should I be doing to help the scene?

(ok, that was more than a couple questions.. haha )

You can fast and pray... then something will maybe come 5 years from now

How long do you think it will take to hack the ps3?

Peeps, just out of boredom, I decided to start this thread. I want to know how long do the ps3news members think it will take to hack the ps3? Just shoot anything that comes out of your mind.

As I was discussing with a friend of mine some time ago, sony didn't design the ps3 to be unhackeble, because that's impossible. The thing is, in my opinion, they designed a console that would remain unhacked for at least the complete estimated lifetime of the ps3, and that is, 6 years.

Since it was released in 2006, they probably estimated it would take hackers at least till the end of 2012 to hack their console. Thing is, as history showed us, console developers tend to underestimate hackers.

In my opinion, it wont take that long, but it will still take a long time. I would say it will take another year and a half to hack the ps3. So, about the start of 2011, I think we will be getting a hack. So, guys, what do you think?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678