Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Re:to CJPC

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, I want to reinforce what NDT said, specifically this will not really help too many people (which is why it should NOT have been public) as you can not stick the drive in your PC and decrypt it. We believe it uses some form of AES to encrypt the data (just like the flash filesystem).

Although certain chunks of data can be decrypted with this method, its mostly the luck of the draw. Random encrypted data is being swapped around, with no table, no filesystem, basically shooting in the dark, which makes it nearly impossible to know what files you have, where they belong, or even their file names!

Now, assuming someone spent the time to decrypt the entire drive, find a filesystem, map it all out, it would be a step in the right direction, but that could take forever to accomplish.

However, with the exception of some assets, such as pictures and videos in certain areas (ie, photo/video, and some game data), everything on the hard disk drive (and the flash, too) is encrypted with yet another layer of encryption (namely, the SELF encryption). For example, take a game that was bought and installed via PSN. With the exception of the SFO, and PNG's, the SELF, and many packaged assets are all still encrypted!

Finally, any flash data stored on the HDD, is yet again, encrypted, so alas, no help there!
    So are you saying photos, videos and saved game data can be decrypted through a PC? What about quick formating the HDD does these make these things more difficult to decrpyt? I have attempted to restore my data because of a quick format though the data I found was mostly flash files that don't need decrypting but I couldn't find any of my other progress. So I gave the problem to solve to datatrack labs but they said the data was encrypted by the PS3. The software I tried to use to restore my HDD data was called Data Recovery Wizard from Easeus.com.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragxdon View Post
    So are you saying photos, videos and saved game data can be decrypted through a PC? What about quick formating the HDD does these make these things more difficult to decrpyt? I have attempted to restore my data because of a quick format though the data I found was mostly flash files that don't need decrypting but I couldn't find any of my other progress. So I gave the problem to solve to datatrack labs but they said the data was encrypted by the PS3. The software I tried to use to restore my HDD data was called Data Recovery Wizard from Easeus.com.
    For the first - mostlikely, they don't have any extra encryption on them (aside from the disk encryption)

Quick formatting will not work, as the whole basis of that is to essentially erase the table of contents, although the data is still there, the table is blank - making it appear empty. But, since there is still data there (and not nothing, ie 00's), it makes it much harder to attempt to retrieve.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by courier View Post
    oh no !!!

ndt the world is full of lamers
    Demonpr*ck is clear evidence of that, even tho the world is full of lamers doesnt mean everyone is a lamer

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News
    That was deleted because someone there leaked sce docs and they were trying to get a decrypted eboot on a retail hdd working with that swap method lol.. the leaker was facundoo10, or so I am told.
    Ahhh SH*T, if this leads onto anything which maybe it wont but you never though, it means your PS3 must be able to emu PS2 so I would be officially screwed. Infact I might sell my PS3 and find an older one now lol but I'll wait to see what happens first.

Can't believe some people. I deal with idiots all day too - seems the world is full of them these days!

Anyway, personally i think this method might lead somewhere (maybe filesystem drivers or something), although i don't know too much about it.

I'd love to have my high power pc setup right now (would say normal, but not had it setup for ages!). I would dump the entire disk off in 4gb chunks then join it all together and run some scans on the data to see if i could find the toc etc.

Would also be very interesting to see what would happen if you did this for the entire disk, then wrote the results back to the disk. (Would it crash? i suspect so, but would be very interesting anyway!)

Anyway - interesting news, shame about the fools.

PSPSwampy.

Banned User

sorry but

sorry for this question , im noob , if hdd is decrypted what can we do with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by ati93 View Post
    sorry for this question , im noob , if hdd is decrypted what can we do with it ?
    Well according to SKFU, nothing much as we are not able to edit any of the files as they are still encrypted or so I think, PSPSwampy theory seems intersting though.

I think more promising approach would be to have a sets (pairs) of encrypted and unencrypted data and try to find out what the encryption/decryption algorithm is. Is anybody having such samples? I work with guy who is a mathematician dealing with cryptography so he might have some clue as how to proceed.

I think that's a great idea

When do you next see this guy?

the future is brighter now

Keep your heads up guys, hey at least now the next discovery won't be harmed by these two weak individuals. If anything this brings us more hope, our wonderful PS3 Dev's just became that much stronger of a team. We just tightened our ship just like Sony tries to tighten theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by BluEvo View Post
    I think that's a great idea

When do you next see this guy?
    I can talk to him every day in the work.

Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast