Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51



  1. #11
    Banned User imec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    34
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Imagine using your own custom GUI or running an emulator straight from the xmb. Imagine what sort of things could be done with the RSX (decoding, encrypting, encoding, HD video playback, a competent Linux environment). The possibilities reach far beyond merely playing pirated games (which is pretty impractical considering the amount of data that a blu-ray disc can potentially contain). This is an exciting step towards achieving such possibilities and I am very eager to see what sort of advancements this discovery will bring.

  2. #12
    Contributor grudge1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    46
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by imec View Post
    Imagine using your own custom GUI or running an emulator straight from the xmb. Imagine what sort of things could be done with the RSX (decoding, encrypting, encoding, HD video playback, a competent Linux environment). The possibilities reach far beyond merely playing pirated games (which is pretty impractical considering the amount of data that a blu-ray disc can potentially contain). This is an exciting step towards achieving such possibilities and I am very eager to see what sort of advancements this discovery will bring.
    Most games are gonna be bought this gen anyways due to the single player campaigns being usually gimped for multiplayer content, and when you take into account that playing burned games online puts you at risk of being banned.

    I dont see too many benefits for playing burned games this gen.... well cept maybe on the Wii...

  3. #13
    Senior Member SCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    172
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    That will be a tough one to solder, could you post a close up of the connector area to see the solder points. Thanks!
    The best I can do is below.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

    20s66f9.jpg  

  4. #14
    Senior Member adrianc1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by SCE View Post
    The best I can do is below.
    Thanks Im pretty good with the soldering iron, and just wanted to know if we ever need to access the jtag port how hard it will be to solder, and its doable with small wires and a multimeter it can be done and the proper soldering iron.


  5. #15
    Toucan Sam CJPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,174
    Ok I feel the need that I need to mention something quite important.

    Nothing was "discovered", those pinout's were taken DIRECTLY (its a print screen from the docs!) from one of the Sony PS3 Service Manual's - Yes, the service manual identifies the JTAG for the BD Drive, as well as for the CELL, SYSCON, etc - quite useful if these items were not disabled at the factory.

    Now a days - these things are blown at production, companies have learned that leaving JTAG's active can be a very, very, very, bad thing.

    Its very old news - we tested these exact points (and others) nearly a year ago and got nowhere- they are blown!

    Now, maybe if you had say, a PS3 TOOL, or a nice PROTOTYPE with active lines it would be something different

  6. #16
    Senior Member adrianc1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Ok I feel the need that I need to mention something quite important.

    Nothing was "discovered", those pinout's were taken DIRECTLY (its a print screen from the docs!) from one of the Sony PS3 Service Manual's - Yes, the service manual identifies the JTAG for the BD Drive, as well as for the CELL, SYSCON, etc - quite useful if these items were not disabled at the factory.

    Now a days - these things are blown at production, companies have learned that leaving JTAG's active can be a very, very, very, bad thing.

    Its very old news - we tested these exact points (and others) nearly a year ago and got nowhere- they are blown!

    Now, maybe if you had say, a PS3 TOOL, or a nice PROTOTYPE with active lines it would be something different
    Why didnt you share this in the past cjpc now demonhades is taking the credit and telling everyone he has been hardworking on those pinouts and that everything shown is his work.

    And the front page news quotes "his work" instead of yours, I know maybe you dont like the spotlight and that this is a deadend, but why would we have this news and credit that to his site, because now all the net is looking at him. He may be a fake but he is getting all the attention he wants.

    Just a thought and thanks for the information you are sharing with us now, if disabled (the jtag port) we are pretty much screwed.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 10-13-2009 at 10:06 PM

  7. #17
    Forum Moderator PS3 News's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,155
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Why didnt you share this in the past cjpc now demonhades is taking the credit and telling everyone he has been hardworking on those pinouts and that everything shown is his work.
    Basically the PS3 Devs here have agreed not to share things like that publically... since it came from the PS3 Service Manual Sony is really the source.

    As CJPC mentioned above though, it's of no use so by them making it public now Sony knows there is a Service Manual leak which will only make it more difficult for us to get those for the CECHL0x and the CECH200x.

  8. #18
    Toucan Sam CJPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,174
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Why didnt you share this in the past cjpc now demonhades is taking the credit and telling everyone he has been hardworking on those pinouts and that everything shown is his work.

    And the front page news quotes "his work" instead of yours, I know maybe you dont like the spotlight and that this is a deadend, but why would we have this news and credit that to his site, because now all the net is looking at him. He may be a fake but he is getting all the attention he wants.

    Just a thought and thanks for the information you are sharing with us now, if disabled (the jtag port) we are pretty much screwed.
    Well, a few reasons - it's not the best to say that you've come across sensitive information - best to keep that kind of quiet.

    Furthermore, it makes it a bit easier to purchase hardware when the demand isn't as high to experiment on - after all, this kind of stuff costs a bit of money, the cheaper we can get it - the better!

    Just for the record, there is no PS3 hack - trust me, when that happens, I'll scream it from the rooftops. Sure, there is some information (mostly eventually useless, like the fact that the JTAG is disabled) that we have not made public yet, but with good reason. I do and will post on it once we have played with it as much as we can - otherwise, we would just be blowing a possible way in.

    I'm not a fan of being a bit on the quiet side, but sometimes its a necessary evil, in order to advance development!

  9. #19
    Senior Member mushy409's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    329
    So what exactly can be done with the JTAG port? Does this allow you to control the BDROM drive via external SCSI commands or is this merely just for factory test/callibration?

    Has any data been read from this port?

  10. #20
    Senior Member adrianc1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by mushy409 View Post
    So what exactly can be done with the JTAG port? Does this allow you to control the BDROM drive via external SCSI commands or is this merely just for factory test/callibration?

    Has any data been read from this port?
    jtag ports are access ports to very sensitive data, like the firmware for example. Jtag ports can sometimes read and write that firmware meaning you could actually pull out the firmware of the bluray drive and then reverse engineer and flash a modified firmware capable of running lets say backups?

    This is just an idea of what a jtag port could accomplish and dont take my post very serious since im a newbie in the ps3 hacking scene. But jtag ports have been used to do a lot of stuff in a lot of other places and a lot of hardware has been hacked due to jtag ports.

 

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News