Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luckluka View Post
    So according to you (CJPC) it's a PS3 Blu-Ray Reader that is somehow IDE?

WoW Sony, PS3 is full of surprises..
    Depending on the model - yes, its been known for a few years, its either IDE, or in the newer boxes - SATA. The pinouts are available, in fact they are available here.

Of course, the drive has 60 lines vs the IDE standard 40 - but there are additional data signals on that line as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Depending on the model - yes, its been known for a few years, its either IDE, or in the newer boxes - SATA. The pinouts are available, in fact they are available here.

Of course, the drive has 60 lines vs the IDE standard 40 - but there are additional data signals on that line as well.
    Yeah CJ !! I remember to read this somewhere.

anyway .. is time for $ony to start PS4 and for US to lead PS3.

Banned User
    IF the OtherOS exploits got the OtherOS removed what will this do? Looks like the next version of the PS3 wont have a bluray drive in it. LOL

I hope this leads to the same sort of exploit as the 360 and lets you play backups.

Even if it can't run backups if it lets you run games without the drive board lock will be great. What I mean is if the drive board and the PS3 dont match it doesnt work so if you remove that lock to let anything run will be really great.

Could a drive firmware flash also let PS2 games run on the slim? I guess it'll need a full console firmware flash for them to work.

I have access heaps of PS3s all with broken drives. I can double my money if I could get the drives working.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes03 View Post
    Looks like the next version of the PS3 wont have a bluray drive in it. LOL
    Well, that's quite possible, just like the PSPgo.

I guess right now we need to figure out the main difference between the PS3 BD drive and a usual BD drive.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jes03 View Post
    I have access heaps of PS3s all with broken drives. I can double my money if I could get the drives working.
    you can make them work, just replace their lens inside the drives. You can buy a ps3 lens from ebay, quite cheap

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mukumuku View Post
    you can make them work, just replace their lens inside the drives. You can buy a ps3 lens from ebay, quite cheap
    maybe he means the driveboard is dead?!

perhaps some type of "wii key" or "WODE" modchip is what will be used in getting backups to run from disks or a HDD, once the firmware is dumped.

Banned User
    thats awsome.. i'm smelling that there is a hack in the air

i hope they find a solution for playing backups o.o that would be awsome.

I'm not getting my hopes up, there's been a dump of the BDD firmware for a while, but its encrypted. So is the drive key and the 'boot flags'.

For this attack to work, they still need to un-encrypt the drive key and the FW. The boot flags I suppose could technically worked around, buy using a swap method.

But I'm not sure if Sony have implemented random boot flag checks in the games, instead of just on 1st load like on the PS2. If they did, then a game disk would be needed in the machine at all times, and then the FW (encrypted again!) would need to be programmed to load games off say a HD, and then any requests for the boot flags would be pointed to the game disk in the drive.

All theoretical. I could also be talking loads of tosh. lol

Banned User
    The problems with the drives range from anything from dead driveboards to dead lasers. Still its not worth it for me as I'm just the middleman in the deals. I'm selling them for a friend who has them. Over 100 of them, all 60GB PS3s.

Some will YLOD in the near future as all 60GB PS3s will but as long as I make money I don't really care.
    Quote Originally Posted by proskopina View Post
    For this attack to work, they still need to un-encrypt the drive key and the FW. The boot flags I suppose could technically worked around, buy using a swap method.
    Thats what a mod chip will do. Probably the way to go instead of custom firmware for the drive.
    Last edited by Jes03; 08-04-2010 at 07:25 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast