Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well, there is a giant flaw in both your plans. The Hybrid console does not run DEV signed code, so we can not create a package to replace the files (aside from the fact we cant write to flash, but thats another post), furthermore we can not make a custom self to do the job, since again, we can't sign it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, there is a giant flaw in both your plans. The Hybrid console does not run DEV signed code, so we can not create a package to replace the files (aside from the fact we cant write to flash, but thats another post), furthermore we can not make a custom self to do the job, since again, we can't sign it.
    well, it was probably a bad idea to "put the KeyVault project on hold" to investigate "significant progress... being made in other areas with the ps3 which supercedes[sic] this Project's priority for the present time"

as far as i can see no progress has been made, and you shelved a project that actually had hope.

You guys stated that with only 1000 participants, the KeyVault project would be successful in just three months.

How long do you imagine it will take you to be successful shelving the KeyVault project to f around with XML files?

I understand a multi-pronged attack. I do not understand getting rid of the only plan for success, except that for one reason or another, it won't work, and you haven't told us that yet.

No one way should supersede another. You guys need to be exhausting all ends until it happens. Please begin working on the KeyVault project again, and please don't stop for any reason short of "the goal has been accomplished".

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    No offense, but it's apparent you're clueless arlyn... although you like dictating to others how they should spend their free time. I take it all of the recent PS3 Dev posts are deemed "insignificant" to you as they are over your head, eh?

Believe you-me, we wouldn't "shelf" a project unless the resident PS3 Devs are making progress beyond what they hoped to accomplish with the initial one. 90% of what goes on the public never sees nor is aware of. The remaining 10% (neutered, lagged summaries of what is being done) gets posted in the Site News.

This is necessary because OF the 90% the public doesn't hear about, another 50% of that most of the PS3 Devs are unaware of themselves... only those working on specific portions and project leaders are in the loop and coordinate the direction of development. The remaining 40% of what the public doesn't hear about (that the resident PS3 Devs in the private IRC channel are aware of) usually becomes 'upcoming' Site News.

In summary, the path we are on is determined by the project leaders... who in this case are mostly unnamed (by choice) but consist largely of oldschool PS2 Dev folks and a few well-known coders/crackers from scene release groups. A few have been mentioned in the past Site News, however, most do not wish to jeopardize their reputation (in the non-warez scene) nor careers (licensed devs who moonlight or leak stuff) nor be bothered by lamers (such as the ICE kids who constantly bug CJPC) so everything gets filtered down the hierarchy to endusers.

Additionally, several non-PS3/PS2 public figures have been doing some GREAT work behind the scene. A few months back C4E from the X-Box sector was assisting the resident PS3 Devs, and currently tmbinc and bushing from the GC/Wii sector are as well. So to answer, yes, the greatest minds are leading the direction of PS3 progress... don't worry about the "KeyVault Project" being put on hold... at all.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3News View Post
    No offense, but it's apparent you're clueless arlyn... although you like dictating to others how they should spend their free time. I take it all of the recent PS3 Dev posts are deemed "insignificant" to you as they are over your head, eh?
    For the most part, we are all clueless. As you said, the most we could ever know are the little bits that get posted. so it could be that it's over my head, or it could be that you are posting the wrong bits.

you told us that keyvault

a) had a time frame (would take 3 months when ready, low estimate. 1000 people)

b) how it would work (brute force attack on hypervisor, install through otheros)

c) the ultimate goal (to crack encryption on the hypervisor)

with xml/rco files, to read that thread on rco files, one definitely gets the impression that for now at least, there's no way to fully decompress ps3 rco's let alone recompile them. so i read that (and have been following it since its' inception, i did some work on the rco's) and just thought, well you know what isn't a dead end? (afaik) the keyvault project. so i made that. i wasn't trying to sound stupid or ungrateful.

I'm know talented people are doing their best. i wasn't questioning their judgement, really if i knew everything they did it's possible i'd agree with them. but we don't know a b or c (i'm well aware that a time frame is too much to ask!) about what's actually going on right now in the scene, because you guys pretty much are the scene right now as far as ps3 is concerned) so i'm clueless. i'm sure others are as well clue us in.

We would love to know more whats happening in the scene, but coming from the otherside of the fence - you guys have to keep it quiet, sony would run around reading these things patching crap up. arlyn i wanna be clued in too... i check this site everyday... hoping waiting for every little bit of news....

I respect all the devs efforts even the ones never mentioned! (there are a lot of people behind cjpc). I say thanks anyway for giving us this portal of news, dev and forums.

have a cup of tea and relax! :-D

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by arlyn View Post
    As you said, the most we could ever know are the little bits that get posted. so it could be that it's over my head, or it could be that you are posting the wrong bits.

you told us that keyvault

a) had a time frame (would take 3 months when ready, low estimate. 1000 people)

b) how it would work (brute force attack on hypervisor, install through otheros)

c) the ultimate goal (to crack encryption on the hypervisor)
    We're grossly drifting from the "Install Debug Firmware on a Retail PS3 system" topic here, but to wrap this up...

Those who can comprehend what is being posted realize the value and milestones of the content. So yes, the "right bits" are being posted... just in a diluted fashion as those doing the work see fit, and we respect them for this.

Regarding the KeyVault Project, the "3 months" mentioned was indeed the estimate from the guys doing the project. However, that estimate was just how long they forecasted "Phase 1" would take to collect the data from the "1000 users" it was NOT how long until the PS3 was unlocked LOL! Wishful thinking on your part perhaps, if that is what you assumed.

The reality is (which was mentioned numerous times) that once the data is collected from the KV Project it would be analyzed and then work would begin on attempting to reconstruct their own "KeyVault" using the names and values derived from the user data. There was no estimate on the second phase, so depending on how successful they were with it only then would they know how close they were to unlocking the PS3 (or how many more steps/phases would be necessary).

In conclusion, the KeyVault Project is just (1) way to reach their goal... it is not the most direct path, and since they have made progress in other areas (that the PS3 Devs deem as a more direct path) it was decided that it's best to pursue those for the time being in hopes of reaching the goal sooner.

thank you for clearing that up about keyvault for me. and again, i wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. keep up the good work.

I totally respect the level or professionalism and maturity that PS3News always carries. I love when new information gets posted or announced but I'm also deep enough 'in the scene' to understand that the most valuable information is kept underground.

So, good luck with your progress guys.

The KV project was dropped... or put on hold.. why couldnt we still proceed with the KV project and pass it on to someone willing to do the work... if we are indeed a community we should be able to share work more efficient. there should be a think tank besides mirc invite only and a place to prove your worth to gain access to the think tank...M2C

Quote Originally Posted by H4rdWear View Post
    The KV project was dropped... or put on hold.. why couldnt we still proceed with the KV project and pass it on to someone willing to do the work... if we are indeed a community we should be able to share work more efficient. there should be a think tank besides mirc invite only and a place to prove your worth to gain access to the think tank...M2C
    Maybe we are getting a little off topic, this is to discuss about the retail to debug firmware flaw found. But to answer your question i think ps3news knows what he is talking about and when he says we better dig here and not there, we should listen, if anyone has made any progress so far is this site on many many levels.

Sponsored Links

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News