Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Great find utonium79 So this means that newer PS3's those does'nt store firmware on nand flash are in luck. I'll try this as i have new 80GB PS3 (2usb ports, no backwards compatibility) i'll give it a try btw is theres any other method to zero format hdd without linux?

Sponsored Links

Exclamation Another full disk zeroing method

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsx2006 View Post
    btw is theres any other method to zero format hdd without linux?
    Yes, you can do it under Mac OS X with Disk Utility.

Open Disk Utility, select your disk on the left and then click on Erase.

Under erase, click on security options which will give four options.

I believe that, for the simple avoid of misleading data not security purposes, the option "Zero Out Data" is good enough.

This method is somewhat similar to the one using Linux but, in this case, you don't have to deal with the text mode.

It's simpler, with a few mouse clicks you are good to go.

The inconvenient is that Disk Utility will write a file system after the zeroing option chosen is completed.

The other method, under Linux, it just do the zeroing on the target media and nothing else.

*** Warning ***

As i said before, zeroing a disk means no data recovery after the procedure completion.

So, bear this advice in mind before doing this.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I bought one of the last phat 80GB models just as the lslim came out (as I wanted OtherOS and it was being sold cheap!)

When I replaced my phat's drive with a brand new 320GB drive it wouldn't do *anything* without being given a new firmware file on USB drive. There was no default system built in, and it seemed to know what its previous firmware version had been. I don't think, but can't be sure, that it wasn't networked at the time.

My guess, from having been an embedded micro engineer is that in the later PS3's have some NOR flash (linearly addressable) which does POST and then loads the "firmware" into RAM (and probably write protects it). Older versions probably have similar NOR but a chunk of NAND for holding the firmware, but when the firmware became too big they started to use the hard drive instead, this would allow it to be functional if the drive was wiped/replaced - provided that it didn't have some non-volatile record of which firmware was current and force you to provide it.

I try this using Japan 40Gt model CECHH00 with firmware version 3.15

First I create full backup for disk using command:

[Register or Login to view code]

Then I clean disk using command:

When I put harddrive back to console it wants firmware 3.15 file from USB

I also try restore my old DD backup (I don't know which firmware version I was in that) but I get same error.

So I think that there is something in bootloader which knows previous firmware version
    Quote Originally Posted by utonium79 View Post
    Yesterday i was writing a tutorial (intended to be posted here on ps3news) which describes how know the pup version without decompressing it. Perhaps i'll talk about this subject later.
    I hope we can see that tutorial soon

Lightbulb

I believe you've used the "dd" command backwards.

you may have wiped your hard disk with a blank file or non existant file, but I haven't used dd in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ionbladez View Post
    I believe you've used the "dd" command backwards.

you may have wiped your hard disk with a blank file or non existant file, but I haven't used dd in a year.
    Uhm - he used dd exactly in the way he describes in his posting. First he creates a backup (if=disk of=backup-file), then he wipes the disk (if=zeroes of=disk).

thanks sapperlott.

sorry again I haven't touched dd since the old days of reflashing my webdt 366 ;]

Question

hmmm if i did this with my 60GB would it be possible to run backup ps1 games again?

Quote Originally Posted by brendanm View Post
    hmmm if i did this with my 60GB would it be possible to run backup ps1 games again?
    You are saying it like ,everything is working 100% and we know a way that will actually downgrade PS3?!

So but if luck will be on your side than yes you will be able to do that!

Red Face

I have PS3 80 GB from 2008 or 2009. I just connected HDD via USB device that allows you to do that to my pc just to see what would have happened.

Couldn't open it so I have connected it back to PS3 and it went "you need to format HDD". I had 2.72 at the beginning and I did and update I think it was 2.80 and after format I had 2.72 back.

Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News