Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Free market. The value of a product is what you're willing to pay for it. No one is forcing you to buy it, so go cry me a river about the prices.

It's still copyright infringement just as much as copying a modern title is.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If copyright was still reasonable and not in its current state then SNES ROMs and others would already be in the public domain. Copyright is there to encourage development and creation of the arts, it is not a permanent paycheck for something you did years and years ago.

I'm a software developer, and I still think the laws are ridiculous. I don't know what it is with actors and musicians either. They think they can perform a song once and get paid indefinitely? That would be like me getting residuals every time a line of code I wrote, no matter how long ago, resulted in a paycheck when it was executed. I don't expect this, and neither should those self entitled a-holes.

I purchased close to a hundred SNES games. I admit I have every SNES ROM created, but I still only end up playing the games I purchased many years ago. So no, I don't feel bad. And I deserve to be able to play those to this day.

And I don't pirate PS3 games, even though it is trivial to do so now. I will support a current generation by purchasing games I play. All I want is to be able to install an unencumbered Linux installation on the hardware I bought (as advertised!) and to be able to run homebrew applications, including emulators. I don't care if I can ever play copied/backed up games on the PS3 (although it would be nice to play games I purchased off the hard drive).

So yeah, cry me a river. Why don't you go back to your Sony provided cubicle and spare us your comments in the future.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Whether or not it's reasonable doesn't change the fact that you're still inringing copyright.

About 99% of the time, I never pay for software, nor do I have any vested interest in the gaming industry.

I'm simply man enough to admit when a spade is a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher2 View Post
    Go cry me a river over poor little developers getting 'copyright infringed', especially when it involves SNES games.

By all means support the industry by forking out 30-40 bucks for a copy of Super Mario All-Stars Wii that is the exact same thing as this copy of Super Mario All-Stars that I own in cart form and in ROM form - only problem is - back in 1993, it was actually value for money, now - it's a goddamn rip-off.

Companies are within their legal rights to defraud millions of customers by selling them what amounts to 1-2MB downloads at unreasonable prices (a 16Mbit ROM on a 4.7GB DVD? Really? You equate that to 'value for money'?) - and you want to talk about poor little developers getting burned by piracy - by a SNES emu of all things?
    File size really has nothing to do with price. And if Nintendo feels like wasting all those DVDs, so what.

I think the new Super Mario All-Stars is a rip-off as well. It's 100% the same, it's a SNES emulator with a copy of the ROM image. Should've been released through VC if it has not been already. I don't think the OST has much value either these days.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by routehero View Post
    I'm simply man enough to admit when a spade is a spade.
    Then you should be man enough to admit when copyright law needs to be changed to account for the disconnect between the pace of modern development and that in place when those laws were enacted.

People used to believe that human slavery was within "the law", and they used phrases very much like the one you pulled from the aether.

Chasing down "copyright infringers" on decades-old IP makes about as much economic and political sense as attempting to keep people from growing and smoking weeds.

Maybe if they spent less money on lawyers to chase kids, they could sell MORE NEW games at less than $60 a pop?

You're missing the point. Whether it's illegal today or legal tomorrow, backups and emulators are the same thing.

If you want to go join the holy crusade against copyright law, go ahead.

What really should change is the holier-than-thou "I just want emulators" crowd.

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News