Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HDD encryption

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This is really interesting. So using knightsolidus' method, we are able to view the directory structure of the HDD, but can't modify any files without corruption due to still-withstanding problem of encryption?

I'm looking for a way to change the 'content owner' data on files and it looks like the encryption is preventing me from getting far with that.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfaced View Post
    This is really interesting. So using knightsolidus' method, we are able to view the directory structure of the HDD, but can't modify any files without corruption due to still-withstanding problem of encryption?

I'm looking for a way to change the 'content owner' data on files and it looks like the encryption is preventing me from getting far with that.
    With knightsolidus' method you get a image of the hdd decrypted. This image is composed of a UFS2 partition (GameOs) a FAT32 2GB (firmware updates) and the Linux partition (which is not encrypted). Then you can mount the image with a software that lets you explore data.

I have not found any software for reading and writing UFS2, only for reading.

Modified this image, you can encrypt and write again in the hdd.

NOTE: This entire process is lengthy and complicated, but that does not mean it is impossible

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by ifcaro View Post
    With knightsolidus' method you get a image of the hdd decrypted. This image is composed of a UFS2 partition (GameOs) a FAT32 2GB (firmware updates) and the Linux partition (which is not encrypted). Then you can mount the image with a software that lets you explore data.

Modified this image, you can encrypt and write again in the hdd.

NOTE: This entire process is lengthy and complicated, but that does not mean it is impossible
    The reason not being able to write can probably be this:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia - Unix File System
    Linux includes a UFS implementation for binary compatibility at the read level with other Unixes, but since there is no standard implementation for the vendor extensions to UFS, Linux does not have full support for writing to UFS.
    Is there any trace of something resembling Java on the GameOS partition? Any .jar files? Anything named java, jre, bd-j, ... ??? I am still hoping some Java vulnerability could be found that would allow to access the system from outside.

Did anyone else see this or figure this out?

I might have a solution for that.
    As it turns out, Ubuntu version 8.10 (Intrepid ibex), using a specific flag when compiling the kernel, will enable UFS2 write support.
    The support should still be in the newest version, 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and the future version 9.10 (Karmic Koala).

Quote Originally Posted by Kidders on the Ubuntu forum
    To mount a UFS2 filesystem in read/write mode, you'll need to recompile your kernel with CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE set to 'y'.
    [Register or Login to view links]

This should give us a vector to be able to change files on the hard disk outside of the PS3, but the encryption is still in our way.

Yes, I have used knightsolidus' method to decrypt HDD. I have also used an application that I developed with him to facilitate the procedure.

I think Sony can not patch this method without prohibiting copying of images, music or video on HDD and I do not think that will do that.
    can you copy out the drm folder?

Quote Originally Posted by rickylyh View Post
    can you copy out the drm folder?
    Yes, but only has 2 files. I have no demo or any downloaded game.

Whee - interesting

I've ordered a CF-SATA adapter to play around a bit with the GameOS disk stuff. Might be funny to see what the GameOS has to say to a disk that's < 10GB considering the rigid "partitioning" scheme. I'll let you know when the adapter arrives (I'll try with a 4GB CF card).

If anyone's interested, I've written a small tool that I use under Linux to initialize disks with 0xdeadbeef before tinkering with them. Makes it easier to see which parts were touched by the PS3 and has the advantage that you'll recognize blocks of zeros written by the PS3, too

One thing I don't quite get yet - is the UFS2 partition itself encrypted or only the files residing inside the partition?

Quote Originally Posted by sapperlott View Post
    One thing I don't quite get yet - is the UFS2 partition itself encrypted or only the files residing inside the partition?
    Of course, everything is encrypted, filesystem and all. On top of that, most of the files in the partition are encrypted, and there is the flash partition on the HDD that is encrypted, and the files in that are encrypted too.

Too much crypto if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Of course, everything is encrypted, filesystem and all. On top of that, most of the files in the partition are encrypted, and there is the flash partition on the HDD that is encrypted, and the files in that are encrypted too.

Too much crypto if you ask me!
    But they arent all different encryption right? Now that would be overkill...

Baaa... i'm gona

Even if some one could break the hdd encryption there is still the file and flash encryption and the leaked method of decryption doesnt let you look into importend system files?Or could they then used with the leaked version to decrypt them?
    (Beside the fact that we couldnt resign)

This sounds more like: Forget it!!

Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News