Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Question Has anyone installed a retail .pkg file on a test unit?

Sponsored Links
    I've been reading for the last few days & finally swallowed my pride to ask, how do i use ps3proxy to install psn demo .pkgs on a test unit?

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hi,

You must have firmware 1.5 or under installed for install retail packages

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    and if you have a debugging station you can just install pkg's from usb sd etc etc so no need to swap any links with proxy to get them there.

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    and if you have a debugging station you can just install pkg's from usb sd etc etc so no need to swap any links with proxy to get them there.
    that was the first thing i tried, i got an error message. they do show up, but wont install.

With any PKG you can install it from (depending on fw version) USB, SD, MS, CF, optical disk, and app_home

Only Retail pkg's will install below debugging firmware 1.60, anything above that and you will get an error message.

However, if you have a new test unit (40gb), you are kind of out of luck, as you can not downgrade to something below 1.60.
    Last edited by CJPC; 07-26-2009 at 07:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    With any PKG you can install it from (depending on fw version) USB, SD, MS, CF, optical disk, and app_home
    This is interesting. If am not wrong this means that TEST units also have the RETAIL public keys allowing them to decrypt RETAIL PKGs? Still a long stretch but a chance to obtain the keys from TEST/DEBUG units are far greater than from RETAIL where we're unable to run anything Sony doesn't want us to...

Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    This is interesting. If am not wrong this means that TEST units also have the RETAIL public keys allowing them to decrypt RETAIL PKGs? Still a long stretch but a chance to obtain the keys from TEST/DEBUG units are far greater than from RETAIL where we're unable to run anything Sony doesn't want us to...
    You are 100% right - the debug unit does contain the keys to decrypt retail PKG's as well. Just assuming we had the keys, then yes, we would be able to unpack any PKG at all, with ease - would be quite interesting!

thanx for the quick reply, answer noted.

if i were to downgrade then install the .pkg file the upgrede again, would the .pkg still work. figured i'd ask before i wasted time beating a dead horse.

Yes it will.

If you downgrade, install the PKG, then upgrade - the PKG will be installed, and you can go ahead and use it!

cjpc, if there's anything you dont know about the ps3, dude i would be amazed.
    im going to try it while i have a little free time, and see what i can get away with... lol

i just tried to update the fw to 1.60 & it went to 59% , then i got the message " the data type is not supported. (80029c9c) ". my current fw is 2.80, so ill try to dl another 1.60 update & give it another try. or is there another way to do this?
    Last edited by imtoodvs; 07-28-2009 at 11:45 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News