Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Guide: Three Ways of Running Your Own Code on PS3

Sponsored Links
    Today SKFU has posted a brief guide on three way to run your own code on Sony's PS3 console, as follows:

1. OtherOS

The easiest way to run your own code on the PlayStation 3 is through Linux which you can install as alternative OS. Several restrictions regarding the RSX, but it seems to become better regarding 3D acceleration since the new MESA 3D GL was released with CELL support.

2. BD-Java

A few days ago I reported, that the developers of demonhades.org found out, that BD-Java still works if you correctly burn it on a Blu-Ray disc. With the FreePlay's minimal BD-Java SDK it's quite ok to develop Java for PS3.

3. Flash

Since FW 2.0 till FW 3.0 there was the so called Informationboard. This is a simple .swf file on the HDD and can be replaced with knightsolidus' HDD decryption method. As the informationboard.swf does not run in a sandbox there's a lot possible but sadly it was removed in the actual FW 3.0.

Guide: Three Ways of Running Your Own Code on PS3

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    My opinions on the matter :

Erm... Option 1 is capped from the slim, and as stated by SKFU, has a poor RSX support, so what's the point?

Option 2? Who would spend an expensive Blu-ray disk to play BD-Java? I wouldn't...

And finally, option 3 - Never heard of it... But wtf... flash? You could just put it in a webpage and run it via web...

So, in the end, stick it to the man, I say. Like Jack Black said in "School of Rock", I probably have "Stickittothemaneosis".

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This guy: SKFU seems to be THE one. Every news it's him and cjpc.

I wonder what does S.K.F.U. could mean

SKFU stands for Street Skater FU (f-you).. don't ask what actually means - maybe something from his past when he is/was a youth.. i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    And finally, option 3 - Never heard of it... But wtf... flash? You could just put it in a webpage and run it via web...
    Like said, "informationboard.swf does not run in a sandbox". Using a swf in webpage maybe you will stay in a sandbox.

But what is the point of running a swf outside a sandbox? There ain't much you can do with a swf systemwise, as far as I know. It ain't C, you know...

Anyway, it's still a good compilation of current homebrew methods. Still, not useful for me but, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. What I meant to say was that I look forward to the to the day when we will be able to run any code, limitlessly, in the ps3. But still, I'm skeptical that this day will ever come. We will see. Future will tell
    Last edited by Preceptor; 09-14-2009 at 02:31 AM

Option 3 is / was used for easier HDD dumping / rewriting

Hmmmm I didn't know.

Could you rewrite the HD on the fly with it? Or did it work the same way as the Knightsolidus method?

Is there any further information about the Knightsolidus method??

What do you mean? The only information I know is what have been posted in the news and what was leaked through various sites some months ago.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News