Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Sponsored Links

Arrow

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by travis134 View Post
    Is this confirmed working on version 2.80?
    Yes, it was posted after the 2.8 Firmware Update anyway though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballerbiggi View Post
    Why Backup if you canīt playback?
    To further experiment and learn how the PS3's insides work, so that one day playing backups on retail consoles will be possible.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks

Sorry, I'm new to the PS3 Hacking Scene; just bought my PS3 recently, I'm still shocked that it hasn't been cracked wide open yet. I guess Sony learned from the PSP..

Anyways, from what I've read, this procedure allows you to take one persons backup, mash it up with your backup, and restore it to your console. With this procedure, ideally you would be able to share PSN demos, movies, or downloadable games, such as Burnout Paradise, with people who have not downloaded these titles, correct?

I understand that this is still in fairly early stages, so some of this information might not be fully available as of now, but is this what the best hopes of this procedure are?

Hopefully when this is working properly we can make simple difference files in order to patch backup images. I'm not sure if the encryption would interfere with this process, but if it does not, I can imagine that sharing games would be as simple as making a backup before you download something, make a backup after you download it, find the differences in between the two files, and apply that difference to someone else's backup, to minimize filesizes as well as create individual patches with only a single PSN title on it.

Is this all just a pipe dream, or is this partially possible?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsperm View Post
    I do like the idea of trying a backup off a dev unit. can hacked123 or any other people on here with a dev unit make a backup for us to try?
    i can get it done with no prob, how or where would i upload it to. i was thinking about the same thing but id hate to ruin a ps3 for it lol

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by travis134 View Post
    Anyways, from what I've read, this procedure allows you to take one persons backup, mash it up with your backup, and restore it to your console. With this procedure, ideally you would be able to share PSN demos, movies, or downloadable games, such as Burnout Paradise, with people who have not downloaded these titles, correct?

Is this all just a pipe dream, or is this partially possible?
    The downloaded and activated Games are bound to your Account. If you give the backup away, you should think about it. Give away your Account isn't that nice.

BTW: If we can Replace some Files... (through KnighSol. way for exam.) Decrypted Files needed. We could change the flag from the eboot (if it plays from BluRayDrive or HDD) and then would it work ? I don't think that it is that easy.

I think it's a good start, and we are moving in the needed direction...

Because, all we know, buffer overflows won't lead to something with such strong system protection as in PS3, it's not PSP, TIFF overflows won't lead to smth...

OKAY. Here's what I have done so far.

I dusted off my original 40gb harddisk that came with the PS3; and formatted it using the 2.80 update PUP. After this, I made a backup to my thumb drive. I downloaded semitope's backup, and overwrote my backup's "archive2_00.dat" and "archive2.dat" files with semitope's. I attempted to restore this new backup on my PS3 and received the following error: "The restore operation could not be completed. The system will restart. (800283F0)

After pressing the circle button, the PS3 restarts, and says "The hard disk's database will be rebuilt."

"Rebuilding database... Please do not turn of your PS3 System"

It restarts once more.

After it's done, nothing on my system has changed. It is still the plain vanilla formatted version. What am I doing wrong? Or does this prove that you cannot use other system's backups?

EDIT: I am fooling around with this a bit more. Now I am attempting restoring directly from semitope's backup.

EDIT2: Hmm, the system noticed me with: "This data was backed up from a different PS3..." Allowing it to continue anyways..

EDIT3: Rebuilding the HD database again and restarting.. I am now prompted with "Data for unregistered users was found on the hard disk and has been restored. The data has been restored for the users listed below. *User 1 *User2 *User3.

EDIT4: I believe this has allowed me to restore for the most part to semitope's backup. I see a game save for Bejeweled 2 for *User 1. Nothing for *User 2. Nothing for *User 3.

Not useful as of now...
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Last edited by travis134; 06-29-2009 at 02:21 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've noticed that for the most part, the archive.dat and archive_00.dat files both begin with an @ (If you view the files in a plaintext editor) And all of the other archive failes, (archive2.dat and archive2_00.dat in my case), all begin with a 0 (If you view the files in a plaintext editor)

Right now I am trying to see what would happen if you changed the folder names of the backups to dates that do not exist. Nothing unusual. I guess the PS3 doesn't care what the folder is named. Just to be sure I'm trying a few different cases. One where the folder name is as long is it can possibly be, one where the folder name is fairly short, one where the folder name is just a space, and one where the folder name is preceded with a dot (.)

All of them show up fine. All of them restore fine..

Trying to change the first character of the dat files. When all of the dat files begin with an @ symbol, the 800283F0 error appears. This could either mean that this is a catch all error code for corrupt PS3 backups, or perhaps it means that there are too many pointers, and not enough data files (With the assumption that archive.dat and archive_00.dat are files that contain pointers/references to the raw data and archive2.dat and archive2_00.dat are files that contain the raw data).

Did you see the actual bejeweled game and not just the save? If not then even demos don't transfer...

Government computers probably have less security than the ps3. We need some encryption cracking is what i think now.

Nope, no bejeweled game, only the game saves

thank you for your work and for sharing, another step in the right direction

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News