Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Guide: How to Run PS3 Games with 4+GB Files from External HDD

Sponsored Links
    Today PSGroove has shared details courtesy of [Register or Login to view links] on how to run PS3 games which contain 4+GB files from an external PlayStation 3 FAT32 HDD.

Those interested can check out the guide below, and be sure to share your results in our PS3 JailBreak Game Compatibility List.

To quote: Due to FAT32 limitations users needed to run these games from internal hard drive only. However, it seems that isn't the only option anymore. Many games utilize a file format known as PSARC (*.psarc).

These files ending in .psarc are archive files similar to zip or rar files on PC. By extracting these large archive files and using the smaller files that are inside, users can get stay under the 4GB limit.

This method has been tested on Uncharted II, and will only work on games utilizing the psarc file format.

1) Download PSARC.zip PlayStation Archive Utility (or the PARC GUI v0.1 or the PARC GUI v0.2 update by TeamKidneyBean if you prefer).
    2) Extract zlib.net.dll and PSARC.exe to any folder.
    3) Find any files more than 4Gb for example /PS3_GAME/USRDIR/build/main/pak22.psarc (5,596,444,529 bytes)
    4) Copy pak22.psarc into zlib.net.dll and PSARC.exe directory.
    5) Extract pak22.psarc (just drag-n-drop pak22.psarc to PSARC.exe)
    6) Now copy pak22 folder with extracted files to gamefolder /PS3_GAME/USRDIR/build/main
    7) Now you can delete pak22.psarc.
    8) Copy PS3_GAME folder with game to your external fat32 usb hdd GAMEZ/Uncharted2/
    9) Use Backup Manager to load game, should work fine.

Guide: How to Run PS3 Games with 4+GB Files from External HDD

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Nice! definitely going to check this out ASAP.

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    I know this is off topic but lets say you jailbroke a ps3 and you a wanted to go back, could you just reformat your ps3 hard drive and everything would be erased or is the jailbreak data stored somewhere else?

This is a step forward! But i fear this won't be a universal solution. still hoping for an alternate file system all together.

Quote Originally Posted by le23 View Post
    I know this is off topic but lets say you jailbroke a ps3 and you a wanted to go back, could you just reformat your ps3 hard drive and everything would be erased or is the jailbreak data stored somewhere else?
    Yea, that is offtopic for this thread but it may be worth a search as it's been discussed in several other threads including THIS one.

Looks like you'll also need .NET framework v4.0.30319

Is there any space difference - any compression on the original file? If not would it make sense to extract any file like this?

Just looking at options for a project I'm working on.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by red8316 View Post
    Looks like you'll also need .NET framework v4.0.30319
    Good catch red8316, here is a link to it before anyone asks: [Register or Login to view links]

Well like someone said before it's really a step forward even if it only enables a couple of games to run on external drives those games make a difference. Thanks for the finding.

Edit: Does anyone know a similar tool for OS X? Thanks, will be looking for one and post results if I find a tool.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 09-27-2010 at 12:17 AM

interesting news, my ps3 has a 350gb hd so this ain't too exciting for me

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News