Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Graf Chokolo Updates PS3DM to Enable Service Mode in PS3 Linux

Sponsored Links
    Following up on his previous releases, today PlayStation 3 hacker Graf Chokolo has released a PS3DM utils update to enable Service Mode from PS3 Linux.

Download: [Register or Login to view links]

To quote: Guys, take a look at my ps3dm-utils. Now you can enable service mode from Linux. Look at ps3dm_usb_dongle_auth.

What service mode can do for us? Well, there's many but i think the most useful one is the downgrading function where you can downgrade the PS3 firmware to the older versions. From the look of it though, it still requires USB dongle to get the job done, correct me if I'm wrong since i didn't look further enough to verify this. Anyhow, can't wait for the release of the noob proof PS3 Linux, OtherOS++.

Update: Jess has confirmed that USB dongle is not necessary to get into the service mode. No you donīt need a dongle! You can invoke it from linux. All the modules comunicate throught dm proxy.

Now you can simulate a dongle through software and authenticate through linux. You can generate the challange and create the adequate response.

From [Register or Login to view links] himself:

1st step - Generating a challenge

# ps3dm_usb_dongle_auth /dev/ps3dmproxy gen_challenge

2nd step - Generating a valid response for a challenge

You need a dongle id. Valid range for dongle IDs is 0Ũ0000 - 0xffff. So choose one, doesn't matter which one, but some are revoked !!!

# ps3dm_usb_dongle_auth /dev/ps3dmproxy gen_resp 0xBABE

3rd step - Verifying response (Enabling "Product Mode")

# ps3dm_usb_dongle_auth /dev/ps3dmproxy verify_resp 0xBABE

4th step - Checking if "Product Mode" is enabled

The returned value shouldn't be 0xff.

# ps3dm_um /dev/ps3dmproxy read_eprom 0x48C07

5th step - Disabling "Product Mode"

# ps3dm_um /dev/ps3dmproxy write_eprom 0x48C07 0xff

Graf Chokolo Updates PS3DM to Enable Service Mode in PS3 Linux

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    this is great, especially for those of us "myself included" that love the power and feel of linux on the ps3, graf is one of the greatest hackers of our time.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i have HUGE respect for graf.

Registered User sonofskywalker3's Avatar
    That's fantastic news, now how the heck do I use this? tutorial anyone? I've got debian running, but don't know how to install these tools.

Please help, my ps3 has been broken for a year now, and I just need to downgrade so I can marry the working controller board to it...

These tools will not help you achieve your goal, you must look else where on the site in order to achieve your goal and will need a dongle.

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ha...tml#post370825

Quote Originally Posted by nicotine View Post
    i have HUGE respect for graf.
    I totally agree - continuing his work even with the way sony are treating the matter - i hope he continues to create unique ways of working. Keep up the great work Graf - you are truly inspiring.

KV3

Registered User sonofskywalker3's Avatar
    Ok, so then i'm pretty confused. why was this "Update: Jess has confirmed that USB dongle is not necessary to get into the service mode. No you donīt need a dongle! You can invoke it from linux. All the modules comunicate throught dm proxy." in the OP if you still need a dongle?

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News