Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If anyone is new to the PS3 like myself, and looking for some information on PS3-Linux-kernels or are trying to develop Homebrew, or like myself interested in how it all works from a noobs point of view, then I hope some of these links may help some of you. some are old but still current with stable Linux PS3 Kernels, up to November last, if I remember, take a look here:

ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/Sony-PS3/
    http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/

or if you wish ftp instead to Geoffrey levand cell
    ftp://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/

Here is Geoffrey Git's
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux-patches.git
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-utils.git
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/geoff/petitboot-dev.git

More Ps3 stuff here: pdaxrom.svn.sourceforge.net

Also another guy to follow for the PS3 is Dan Peori "ooPo" https://github.com/ooPo/following

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks a lot for sharing this information with everybody. Mighty proper of you sir. I'm sure a lot of people will be looking into these.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Custom Hypervisor (lv1.self, CHV) - nice idea! (I am think about it half year ago).

If we will have CHV with Virtual Machine (VM), we will have Separate boot (CHV-terminal(root)(LV1), Linux(LV2), XMB(LV2), custom XMB(LV2)).

If convert (or clone root LV2 fs directly) lv2.self to native VM format (XEN\Qemu\VBox), we got ability to start CHV and emulate 2 XMB (Offecial\Custom).

In Offecial - transparent eth0 interfaces walkthrough CHV to PSN servers. In Custom - block ports to PSN servers and open only for Homebrew apps (Like CustomPSNs and etc.)

Sorry for my pure English.

Sponsored Links

PS3 Linux Kernel and AsbestOS Installer v2.0 Updates Arrive

Sponsored Links
    Over the weekend Graf Chokolo has continued on his project updating his PS3 Linux kernel with new drivers while Kmeaw has made available AsbestOS Linux Kernel Installer v2.0, although he states it is still a work-in-progress.

Download: [Register or Login to view links] / AsbestOS Linux Kernel Installer v2.0 / AsbestOS v2.0 (Compiled) / [Register or Login to view links]

PS3 Linux v2.6 Changelog:
    • Added ioctl PS3RAM_IOCTL_USER_TO_LPAR_ADDR cmd to ps3ram character device to convert user space addresses to lpar addresses
    • New PS3 VUART Dispatcher Manager (port 10) driver
    • New PS3 Dispatcher Manager Proxy character device driver for user space /dev/ps3dmproxy

AsbestOS Linux Kernel Installer v2.0 Changelog:
    • ICON0.PNG – Updated for v2.0
    • sfo.xml – Updated for v2.0
    • Makefile – Updated for v2.0
    • Progress bar and 128M bootmem fix.

To quote from [Register or Login to view links]: Well folks, it's done! I've been working with kmeaw last couple of weeks in asbestOS v2.0. This release is easyer to use, and eases the installation of Debian GNU/Linux in your PS3. Right now, it's the best way to overcome the loss of OtherOS feature. Hope everyone enjoys it!

To quote from [Register or Login to view links]: Just pushed my newest PS3 Linux drivers to remote GIT repository

You can access Dispatcher Manager from User Space through /dev/ps3dmproxy and in Kernel Space through ps3dm interface.

But take care, some HV services are dangerous and you should know what you are doing, you could e.g. overwrite your metldr or EID on FLASH So be careful.

I intend to write an updater for packages in the next days which will be able to update e.g. CORE OS package from Linux user space And then i will upload it.

For a long time i couldn’t decide where to implement the updater, in kernel space or in user space, kernel space makes e.g. easy converting memory addresses to LPAR addresses, but allocating large piece of memory in kernel is not simple, and implemnting HV services in kernel seems to me to be out of question, so i decied to do it from user space, more safe and easier

And we will need HUGEPAGE support for updater. I already tested it on my PS3 Linux and it works great One page is 16 MB large, more than enough for updating packages. The updater can allocate a huge page, store there the package, lock this page in memory so that swapper doesn’t move it to swap space, convert the address of the page to LPAR address and send it to Update Manager

I also added a new IOCTL to /dev/ps3ram character device – PS3RAM_IOCTL_USER_TO_LPAR_ADDR. It allows you to convert a user space memory address to LPAR address. We will need it for updater e.g., because updater has to send LPAR address of package to Update Manager. Here is an example how to use it: [Register or Login to view links]
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <sys/types.h>
    #include <sys/stat.h>
    #include <sys/ioctl.h>
    #include <fcntl.h>
    #include <sys/mman.h>
    #include <asm/ps3ram.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
            unsigned char *buf;
            int fd, res;
            struct ps3ram_ioctl_user_to_lpar_addr user_to_lpar_addr;

fd = open("/dev/ps3ram", O_RDWR);
            if (fd < 0)
            {
                    fprintf(stderr, "error: open failed with %d\n", fd);
                    exit(1);
            }

posix_memalign(&buf, 4 * 4096, 4096);

mlock(buf, 4096);

printf("%llx\n", buf);

user_to_lpar_addr.user_addr = (unsigned long) buf;

res = ioctl(fd, PS3RAM_IOCTL_USER_TO_LPAR_ADDR, &user_to_lpar_addr);
            if (res < 0)
            {
                    fprintf(stderr, "error: ioctl failed with %d\n", res);
                    exit(1);
            }

printf("0x%llx\n", user_to_lpar_addr.lpar_addr);

close(fd);

usleep(5000000);

exit(0);
    }
    Have fun and report any bugs to me please. HV hacking is cool

Just enabled ENCDEC and ATA debug messages in HV from Linux and now i can see those messages

[Register or Login to view links] HV rocks!!! Maybe i should enable RSX debug messages and see what they do.

Here is my new PS3 updater on Linux in action We don’t need PUP files or GameOS anymore to do updates It can be done now on Linux easily HV rocks It can inspect packages now Didn’t try updating yet, too dangerous, have to check everything 1000 times at least because i don’t have a NOR flasher

[Register or Login to view links]

In case, you are wondering what those repo node value numbers mean, then read my HV page about UM inspect package service.

And here is an example if a package is damaged. I intentionally modified a package and let UM inspect it, It returns error

If SONY is reading it, they will know what those numbers mean

As i said previously, i allocated a huge page with mmap(MAP_HUGETLB) and stored there the package, then i converted the user space address of the buffer to LPAR address and sent a UM inspect package request to Update Manager through my /dev/ps3dmproxy.

To make Linux preallocate some huge pages during boot, i passed boot parameter “hugepages=1″, it means Linux kernel should preallocate 1 huge page of size 16 MB. And an application can grab this page with mmap syscall.

I will upload it soon Stay tuned. PS3+Linux+HV rock !!! And i know where to patch Update Manager in HV process 6 so it will allow us to do downgrades without Product Mode I also improved my DM drivers, will upload them soon too.

Extracting packages with Update Manager works now also

PS3 Linux Kernel and AsbestOS Installer v2.0 Updates Arrive

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is fantastic work. Congrats on the progress you have made and thanks for all the time and effort put into this.

This may be a stupid question, not sure...

If we can start to do all these things outside of GameOS, is it possible to have the best of both worlds? In other words can we run an unmodified GameOS so that Sony doesn't detect any funny modifications that lead to PSN bans, as well as running Linux & homebrew? I have zero interest in game backups or anything along those lines...

Don't think so as we still don`t know what kind of tools sony uses to check our systems for "illegal" software but if that would be possible why stop there??

then you could have 2 ps3 systems 1 official for psn & stuff and another to let's say...

Test our extended demos?

Wow, thanks for the news! =D

this is great, thanks for the awesome news

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the uber noob question but how do I go about getting the new drivers installed. I'm running Ubuntu and I have to say, it runs like crap. I've searched on getting it running great but I can't find anything definitive. What I need is how to get ubu running better as well as how to install the new drivers! thanks in advance!!

wow, i love you graf, you're my hero. haha.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News