Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

GeoHot Retires from PS3 and iPhone Hacking, Others to Lead On

Today George Hotz aka GeoHot has announced he is retiring from Sony PS3 and Apple iPhone hacking, citing that the demand for updates from end-users will never stop.

In his exit from the PS3 scene, GeoHot left many legitimate PlayStation 3 users without OtherOS and without the promised 3.21OO PS3 Custom Firmware.

The good news? Others whom GeoHot shared the PS3 METLDR info and LV2 dump with are currently using his work to continue hacking the PS3 console, with rumors from IRC (for what those are worth LOL) indicating a public "end-user" PS3 hack may arrive before September 2010 from their camp.

Unfortunately though, just like the past Dark_AleX and "M33" PSP releases, an incoming PS3 hack will probably be from a fictitious group and won't include anything useful to PS3 Devs such as dumps, reversals, sourcecode, etc.

Hopefully once a hole that Sony can't block is public, other PlayStation 3 Devs will begin working on the PS3 though... and sharing all the juicy the technical details along the way for others who wish to learn.

This will help ensure the PS3 scene won't fall victim to the hypocritical and ridiculous "anti-piracy, users deserve nothing" attitude that began the downfall and led to the fate of the current PSP scene.

To quote: His PS3 username, Twitter account, and blog are all now shut down. His last tweet said, "it was a cool ride, and i've learned a lot about a lot. perhaps one of these days i'll do a more formal goodbye."

Along with that post, he wrote in his blog explaining his reasons for retiring from the scene. He says that he "didn't fully realize most of the current scene don't care unless they are getting something," but now he does.

He then continued a bit more in his post with the following: "The real reason behind no release isn't technical. It's just that it will never stop, after blackra1n, people demand unlock, after blacksn0w, people demand untethered. I miss the days when jailbreaking and unlocking were difficult, it attracted a much higher caliber crowd."

More PlayStation 3 News...

Mates, looks like Geohot is gone for good... Blocked all his blogs and removed his twitter account. These are some bad news for anyone (like me) still waiting for him to release anything in the near future...

Pretty bleak future indeed.

The game piracy thing is pretty complex, it is difficult to state an unchallengeable opinion on it. However, it is true that piracy is often used as a scapegoat and it is also true that the developers only get a small part of the overall profit. (similar to the music artists) So, Piracy doesn't necessarily mean worse games...

Anyways, BTW GeoHot retired and he also said his last photo which stated he hacked the iPhone 4 was faked, well I do not even want to know which additional photos were faked by him, too. (Somebody should make a news post about it, since its kinda important though)

geohot recently said that he will not try to jailbreak the new iphone and that he won't do anything about ps3 anymore. his ps3 blog is not public anymore.

Big Grin

hey guys, Egohot disappeared !!!! LOL

waaaaaaaa i am leavng the scene.. someone slap him with a trout IRC style.

we don't care if your leaving no need to make such a fuss about it.

thanks for your work on the iphone and half hack for the ps3, someone else will take over now who's not bent on stroking his EGO!

That is all.

ROFLMFAO... Man i was reading this & the ending for the old incredible hulk t.v. show popped in my head.

so the Ipod god is no more... smh

All I have to say is, about freaking time. Lil wannabe pissant was all talk, all ego.

it just look likes that he wasn't able to do what he promeised to do, so, what better than disappearing???

damn can't belivee what i'm reading, after all he did to the ps3 leaving us with nothing. first demonhades says that things are not going like he thought with the ps3 and that maybe there will be no more hadesteam and now geohot quits so that leaves us with who to finish hacking the ps3.

even though the part about an exploit being released for the ps3 by september really caught my attention i'm wondering who will continue on the ps3 scene, and i still ain't going to update since maybe something comes out but it doesn't gurantee it will give me otheros back so i'll stay safe with 3.15.

what i think is best is to not release the exploit till the new games come out this year, like need for speed and twisted metal black and all those new games including killzone 3... since probably if you release the exploit earlier sony will release an update before the good games come out, and then the new games will require the new fw which blocks the exploit but then again i'm just a noob giving my opinion.

ps3news rules best website ever!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast