Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Looking at what other ppl have done could both be an advantage and a disadvantage. Having the info could deter you looking in certain places and limit your chances of discovering something others might have missed. Maybe its best he looks through it himself.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Wait a minute. He wrote that he wants to run unsigned code AND turn a retail PS3 into a Test Unit.

AFAIK being able to "run unsigned code" means Homebrew apps. That would inevitably spawn an ISO loader (or at least a PS2 emulator) made by the hackers.

For what would we need a Test Unit then?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    New tweet:
    the 8th SPU disable is s/w based...so if yours happens to work, your PS3 gets more powerful
    Wonder what would happen if ppl started to unlock this spu. game crashes or games run better? I suppose having a newer ps3 would mean a higher chance of this spu being functional (better manufacturing process as the initial disabling was to improve early yields?)
    Last edited by semitope; 12-27-2009 at 02:34 PM

Wink Only time will show the truth

...and maybe GeoHot is not so "Genius" like we think - [Register or Login to view links]

Quote Originally Posted by Raze1988 View Post
    Wait a minute. He wrote that he wants to run unsigned code AND turn a retail PS3 into a Test Unit.

AFAIK being able to "run unsigned code" means Homebrew apps. That would inevitably spawn an ISO loader (or at least a PS2 emulator) made by the hackers.

For what would we need a Test Unit then?
    I'll try not being very annoying, but I've been following Wii homebrew scene for the whole time, and I remember Team Twiizers constantly saying: " We are against piracy! We're making homebrew support on Wii!".
    Can't say they aren't right.

But one spanish hacker Waninkoko came and made an ISO-loader for wii based on that "homebrew support". Oh well. Always best intentions, always negative consequences.

Awesome

Thank God there is finally someone working to actually crack this thing. I can't wait to see what kind of doors he can kick down.

Godspeed Geohot, and keep us informed of your progress! Exciting to see someone with his caliber of skills getting serious about getting the PS3 opened up!

I cant wait to see this thing cracked and see what it can really do. Here's hoping he can take the ps3 homebrew scene from less than 0 to 100 in less than the 3 years Sony has enjoyed sitting back knowing that no one is anywhere near snapping the security on their little beast

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Tidusnake666 View Post
    I'll try not being very annoying, but I've been following Wii homebrew scene for the whole time, and I remember Team Twiizers constantly saying: " We are against piracy! We're making homebrew support on Wii!".
    Can't say they aren't right.

But one spanish hacker Waninkoko came and made an ISO-loader for wii based on that "homebrew support". Oh well. Always best intentions, always negative consequences.
    It's alright man, we're talking about backups here. We just don't want our original discs getting all scratched.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze1988 View Post
    It's alright man, we're talking about backups here. We just don't want our original discs getting all scratched.
    lol. i just don't like having to get my up and change discs even though i like having discs

Quote Originally Posted by bansheeboyb View Post
    Thank God there is finally someone working to actually crack this thing. I can't wait to see what kind of doors he can kick down.

Godspeed Geohot, and keep us informed of your progress! Exciting to see someone with his caliber of skills getting serious about getting the PS3 opened up!

I cant wait to see this thing cracked and see what it can really do. Here's hoping he can take the ps3 homebrew scene from less than 0 to 100 in less than the 3 years Sony has enjoyed sitting back knowing that no one is anywhere near snapping the security on their little beast
    Dude, there has been a lot of people trying to crack the ps3, Geohot needs his well due respect and all, but he is not the only one working on it, also its everyone else helping to crack it.

True but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chivafighter View Post
    Dude, there has been allot of people trying to crack the ps3, Geohot needs his well due respect and all, but he is not the only one working on it, also its everyone else helping to crack it.
    Im no dev myself, I dont claim to have the talent that any of these people have, which Im sure is outstanding for all involved, but the scorecard for the devs that have attempted this so far still reads exactly this after 3 complete years: Devs: 0 Sony: 1

Sony wins. Sony scored one point releasing a secured system. They havent had to patch or strike back with anything. Their 1 point wins this game so far. They have been just hanging out in the locker room for 3 years celebrating their win. Lets just hope someone like Geohot can force them to at least get back on the field.

After 3 years of complete failure hacking this thing, and no progress made at all, the fact that a known successful hacker is actually taking aim at this device has to be seen a the true "Starting Point" on hacking the ps3.

There has been ZERO progress made so far. And I absolutely do not count pictures of circuit boards and technical data sheets about chips that everyone in the world can get and info on test tools that have nothing to do with the ps3 and dev kits as progress in any shape form or fashion toward retail hardware security cracks. That is all we have had so far.

Nothing even remotely close, in any imaginable way, to a holy grail "Hello world" or even any vulnerably found at all. There hasn't even been an exploit that was patched, or just held onto to by a group. There have been ZERO exploits even found. That has to speak volumes for either the security of the ps3, or the skill level of the people attempting to crack it.

This guy has actually cracked something huge before. The iphone hack, even if the security was not anywhere near the ps3, was a huge accomplishment. We have seen nothing but public datasheets and worthless dev kit programs so far for the ps3.

I dont mean any disrespect at all with this, but until Geohot fails at this for 3 years, like everyone else, I have to think his historic past accomplishments put him as the front runner to get this done. Maybe he will, maybe he wont, but he already is doing things that other devs cant. I mean seriously, 3 years and no accomplishments at all, should tell you its just not going to happen for the devs that have been attempting this so far. Its time for some fresh talent to take a crack at it.

He is already trying things that others havent, and actually reporting something about it. Even CJPC is saying stuff like "I seriously doubt that they would transmit unencrypted data across the southbridge". Oh really? You didnt check that? you just assumed it and didnt check? Is that because you didnt think about it? or just that you cant? No disrespect, but this is one of the first things you would think would have been tried, and wasnt. I mean trying to straight capture the communications to and from the HV wasnt one of your starting points? It was for Geohot...... and we'll see what happens.

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News