Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    CJPC, so this is a 100% legit proper working fully functional exploit that have never been seen before to the PS3? This is something you devs can work with?

I'm not skilled enough to analyze the code and such, just curious.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    I honestly think its awesome he released his exploit - now the real fun begins. Once the LV0/1 dumps show up, then its on to lots of reversing of the code, figuring out how to load up LV2, dump that, reverse it, etc.

It may be a long process, but a very creative way to get it started - kudos to Geohot on the release!
    I hate to ask generic questions (I lack knowledge on the subject), but these keys you guys are looking for, can you explain more about them for those of us who don't know? I assume this exploit will eventually lead to them?

Sponsored Links

re

Sponsored Links
    Any chance someone can compile and a guide how to run the kernel module?

then we can all at least mess about with this and see what we can acomplish.. i don't have any compile skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    I hate to ask generic questions (I lack knowledge on the subject), but these keys you guys are looking for, can you explain more about them for those of us who don't know? I assume this exploit will eventually lead to them?
    These "keys" are used to encrypt stuff. For example, on a wifi network with a password, all data is encrypted so that no one can "see" the data without knowing(or figuring out ) the password. If you year something like 256bit, that is the strength of the encryption key. The encryption for the update files for the iPhone (3GS) are 2048bit, not possible to crack (guess or deduce using many data points) using current hardware (including the cray jaguar).

I would assume that the ps3 keys are of a similar strength. Back to the ps3, there are multiple keys, and some are protected by each other. The root, base key is stored directly in the hard ware. i.e. branded into the circuit board deep inside the CELL (processor). This exploit may lead to a way to "dump" the root keys and lead to the discovery of all other keys shortly after.

Hope that clears things up somewhat
    Last edited by smarty94; 01-26-2010 at 09:22 PM Reason: spelling

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jd200 View Post
    Any chance someone can compile and a guide how to run the kernel module?

then we can all at least mess about with this and see what we can acomplish.. i don't have any compile skills.
    If you dont know how to compile it , then you don't know the next steps to get the keys, you will kill your PS3.

Look, a few points that need to be said. For the average Joe's out there this exploit is useless at the moment and we really can't do anything with it. The dev's and the clever people are the ones that can now expand on Geohotz's great work now.

I also wouldn't worry about Sony patching it as I am positive that the people that matter now still have PS3 systems floating about that this exploit works on. It is also highly unlikely that even if Sony releases an update to make this exploit harder to implement, that the dev's would be silly enough to apply the update!

The bottom line is the fun is just beginning, sit down and relax. We have a long wait ahead of ourself before the dev's and clever people dump the important code, reverse it and just maybe find out all the different interesting facts along the way which might, just might lead to a easily applied working software exploit for the masses.
    Last edited by factions; 01-26-2010 at 09:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by caner12 View Post
    CJPC when do you think we will have like a custom firmware or something
    Thats still weeks/months away m8.

Quote Originally Posted by ModderFokker View Post
    Thats still weeks/months away m8.
    Or never... How does this affect brute forcing the keys?

Has anyone gotten it to work on a higher firmware, I have a phat ps3 on firmware 2.80 but I know nothing about code so I am taking the advice of the smarter ones that, this is useless to the general public and have not even tried a thing with it as of yet, all I know is I am not updating the system from here on out.

on brute forcing

While i'm not educated on the ps3's encryption scheme.. i would assume brute forcing of the keys is just not possible.. not like the dinky 256bit stuff your wifi works on =P it would take the worlds most powerful super computer longer than your entire life to just guess it.. unless it just happened to get ridiculously lucky.

Sponsored Links
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News