Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    umm any comments on WTF that poke me thing is? and i hope sony dosnt block this up as it just creates a better linux on the ps3 and can some one confirm on higher firmware and with regular controller?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Back to waiting. Seems he is leaving this for now as well so we are with the devs again. I wonder why he didn't continue searching for the keys, even if not the root key. Any idea on whether this will be of more use on dev/test/tool systems? Do they use the same keys as the retail ps3s?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by xxkrizxx View Post
    Nope, geohot said it will be hard for sony to patch it so don't think so..
    Hard like remove totally the OtherOS ? I doubt...

geohot: well actually it's pretty simple
    geohot: i allocate a piece of memory
    geohot: using map_htab and write_htab, you can figure out the real address of the memory
    geohot: which is a big win, and something the hv shouldn't allow
    geohot: i fill the htab with tons of entries pointing to that piece of memory
    geohot: and since i allocated it, i can map it read/write
    geohot: then, i deallocate the memory
    geohot: all those entries are set to invalid
    geohot: well while it's setting entries invalid, i glitch the memory control bus
    geohot: the cache writeback misses the memory
    geohot: and i have entries allowing r/w to a piece of memory the hypervisor thinks is deallocated
    geohot: then i create a virtual segment with the htab overlapping that piece of memory i have
    geohot: write an entry into the virtual segment htab allowing r/w to the main segment htab
    geohot: switch to virtual segment
    geohot: write to main segment htab a r/w mapping of itself
    geohot: switch back
    geohot: PWNED
    geohot: and would work if memory were encrypted or had ECC
    geohot: the way i actually glitch the memory bus is really funny
    geohot: i have a button on my FPGA board
    geohot: that pulses low for 40ns
    geohot: i set up the htab with the tons of entries
    geohot: and spam press the button
    geohot: right after i send the deallocate call

Quote Originally Posted by Dibblah View Post
    You do realize that at this time this hack gives no access whatsoever to Game or Update mode, right?

The protection that exists on the disk for the PS3 system partition is still unbroken. At this time, the ONLY thing this might affect is allowing better access to some of the hardware from Linux.
    I know, but all i'm saying is that i'm hoping it woold lead to hardware suport for .mkv in due time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iomega1972 View Post
    Hard like remove totally the OtherOS ? I doubt...
    Although anything can happen, I find it somewhat difficult to believe that Sony will patch out a system capability that they advertised when they sold the product to people. I know that plenty of people just few OtherOS as "that feature that might help me get pirated games," but it would be a pretty serious breach of ethics to remove the OtherOS capability from consoles that were sold as being capable of having Linux installed.

This isn't, however, to say that they couldn't simply patch out the exploit and leave OtherOS intact.

So what do you think CJPC... Your opinion counts most

Quote Originally Posted by jul644 View Post
    umm any comments on WTF that poke me thing is? and i hope sony dosnt block this up as it just creates a better linux on the ps3 and can some one confirm on higher firmware and with regular controller?
    poke = write to a specific memory address
    peek = read a specific memory address

[Register or Login to view links]

Being able to do this to any address at will is quite significant. It might not mean much to the average user, but it definitely opens things up for devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwroc View Post
    This isn't, however, to say that they couldn't simply patch out the exploit and leave OtherOS intact.
    I imagine Sony might be able to implement something similar to the PSP's 6.20 update which verifies the memory integrity and ensures unauthorized modules aren't loaded.
    Last edited by Transient; 01-26-2010 at 09:31 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Douche69 View Post
    So what do you think CJPC... Your opinion counts most
    I honestly think its awesome he released his exploit - now the real fun begins. Once the LV0/1 dumps show up, then its on to lots of reversing of the code, figuring out how to load up LV2, dump that, reverse it, etc.

It may be a long process, but a very creative way to get it started - kudos to Geohot on the release!

CJPC when do you think we will have like a custom firmware or something

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News