Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Today I validated my theories about running the isolated SPUs on the PS3 as crypto engines. The PS3 is 100% hacked. So where my homebrew at?
    What did Geohot do?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    What did Geohot do?
    Unfortunately nobody here is a mindreader, so until he publishes his "theories" it would be a waste of time to speculate on tweets like that.

Edit: I see he has now updated his blog with more specific details, as follows:
    On the Isolated SPUs

Today I verified my theories about running the isolated SPUs as crypto engines. So to people like this, sorry you are wrong.

In OtherOS, all 7 SPUs are idle. You can command an SPU (which I'll leave as an exercise to the reader) to load metldr, from that load the loader of your choice, and from that decrypt what you choose, everything from pkgs to selfs. Including those from future versions.

The PPU is higher on the control chain then the SPUs. Even if checks were to be added to, for example, verify the hypervisor before decrypting the kernel, with clever memory mappings you can hide your modified hypervisor.

Ah, but you still didn't get the Cell root key. And I/we never will. But it doesn't matter. For example, we don't have either the iPhone or PSP "root key". But I don't think anyone doubts the hackedness of those systems.

I wonder if any systems out there are actually secure?
    So basically he's saying according to his research iQD's theory isn't correct is all.

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    George states that you can decrypt pkgs, would I be right in thinking that includes the files extracted from updates? If so then I'm guessing it would make it easier for people to analyse the firmware for possible "bugs"

I understand it like this (correct me if I'm wrong):

The problem now is to be solved by cryptoanalysis. Pkgs are visible now - but that's not a big deal - they are encrypted! So are firmware update downloadable files.

I understand Geohot is saying that now "we" can try to decrypt this files from the inside (don't imagine how) - and because of that inside approach it will be easy(er).

What i get from his update is the now he can command/force any of spus to decrypt any pkgs or selfs and even modified/make a custom hypervisor would it means he can run unsigned code or maybe i'm all wrong.

so what now? can we say that the ps3 entire system is down or what?

sounds interesting? or is this just something that was already known?

he has already figured out the "how".. what he is saying is that he can now force the spu to decrypt pkgs or selfs.. I would assume he can use them to decrypt anything.

Here is a blog comment from geohot. could be something useful..
    George Hotz said...

If someone wants to be useful, and can code in a little "language" I created, help me out.

[Register or Login to view links] is an Instruction Set Descriptor File For EDA, my disassembler. Someone pick up the syntax and finish it, SPU docs are public

To see what EDA is [Register or Login to view links]

[Register or Login to view code]

Updated Version:

[Register or Login to view code]

Arrow

That source is for a processor module for his disassembler that he created, having worked with EDA in the past it would be nice for an SPU library to exist, its much more intuitive than IDA.
    Last edited by lilstevie; 02-14-2010 at 09:39 AM Reason: added missing words from post

Sponsored Links
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News