Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by silencephaze View Post
    Also i would like CJPC or some ps3 developer to comment on this last paragraph thanks!

Just my two cents, plus a story I shared some picture with you also!
    Or you can just replace the laser within the bluray player. Sometimes it will work and you dont need the keys to repair the drive.
    If it fails again the controller on the motherboard is broken.

Which is whats wrong with faulty ps3.
    Last edited by ModderFokker; 01-27-2010 at 11:59 AM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    About drive keys: at which point does the drive become locked to the system? Is it on first boot? Might be possible to make all drives use the same key eventually. If its not factory locked by a chip or something.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by craig2k9 View Post
    gr8 news, although dont understand how to use the exploit but.. it says on the picture to "poke here" poke with what? maybe i'm being stupid meh... dont know, if it was explained a little easiar then maybe more people would understand how hard it may really b
    poke = write to memory
    peek = read from memory

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    About drive keys: at which point does the drive become locked to the system? Is it on first boot? Might be possible to make all drives use the same key eventually. If its not factory locked by a chip or something.
    I'm guessing it is at first boot. And even you manage to get the keys it will just get replaced with a firmware update.

This info is in SONY info about BD drive. cant remember the link. The BD Drive keys arent permanent they last from 6 to 12 months and if they aren't renovated the drive just wont read any more BD Disks.

So it is all linked... Main key comunicate with other locked keys in order to key and say "We all are good, keep on booting"

Once someone gets they keys and make a hombrew app properly signed is when the real "FUN" begins

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    So even while the devs are working with this already public exploit they aren't going to say anything?
    If they make any significant progress that warrants posting publically, it will be posted of course so don't worry about that. But I wouldn't expect "daily" updates because really all they are seeking is the dumps to examine, which when obtained, is over most people's heads anyway, so reversing them publically (which is what would be done with them) isn't likely to happen.

That being said, once the dumps are reversed and, for example, a new hole or vulnerability is found that is deemed "safe" to publish then it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
    i'm planning on doing this in the next few days, have a pal 80GB unit to play with, just working on a solution to measuring 40ns, hoping that one of my AVR's will be fast enough.
    If you do have the required materials and time, and nobody else does it yet, definitely get in touch with CJPC as the Devs would love to examine the dumps. We can compensate you for your time and efforts in helping out (Dev account, Premium account, PayPal, swap files for something else you may be seeking, etc) so that isn't an issue. If CJPC had no classes, could get the parts shipped next-day and and enough freetime he'd do it himself sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by silencephaze View Post
    Also i would like CJPC or some ps3 developer to comment on this last paragraph thanks!
    I will let CJPC know to read/reply to this now on IRC... also +Rep for your detailed post silencephaze.

Not for nothing, but wouldn't this hardware hack benefit the process of creating a modchip for ps3 more than anything?

Quote Originally Posted by skrapps View Post
    Not for nothing, but wouldn't this hardware hack benefit the process of creating a modchip for ps3 more than anything?
    I don't believe so, no. The hardware portion of this exploit is (as I understand it) just the FPGA that's soldered onto the PS3 Main Board, which sends a pulse every 40ns, simulating a button press, or something similar to it.

ModChips are chips that are soldered onto a Main Board and then provide additional or modified (hence MOD chip) functionality to a system.

This exploit is only for looking at/playing with and dumping information. Most of that is only memory.

This is only my own personal understanding, if I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Edit: I forgot to add that ModChips require a proper hardware exploit that allows extended capability, if for example, someone found a way through writing to memory to allow .MKV files to be played (again, this is theoretical) using the exact same solder points (not likely) then yes, this would benefit modchip development. This however is not the case. Whether it's playing .MKV files, or backups, or homebrew. That is why the Dev's (and many others) are looking for the lv0 and lv1 dumps to reverse engineer so they can find more loopholes to exploit.
    Last edited by deathwingzero; 01-27-2010 at 01:32 PM Reason: Forgotten info

once again, my congrats to geohot. the hardware mod on the pic, is just the FPGA soldered to the PS3 motherboard.

Can someone post a tutorial, and must we do this with linux on the ps3?

If someone can post a tutorial i will really rep+ him.

Quote Originally Posted by nrdissy View Post
    Can someone post a tutorial, and must we do this with linux on the ps3?

If someone can post a tutorial i will really rep+ him.
    Really, are you serious? what esle do u need? there is a read me in the rar file... if you dont understand it or know how to do it, its not for you.

Sponsored Links
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News