Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

GeoHot PS3 Custom Themes Hack Demonstration Arrives

Sponsored Links
    Today GeoHot has posted a few pictures (below) with the title "Custom Themes?" on the latest PlayStation 3 blog entry, however, no other useful details are available of the PS3 hack demonstration.

To speculate, it appears to illustrate modifying the PS3 GameOS XMB memory areas, but this was already known over a month ago when word first spread of the PS3 Hypervisor lv2 being dumped and reversed.

It's an RCO file edit, just like RCO edits on the PSP (almost same format too). RCO files are resource files for VSH plugins, live in the dev_flash, and aren't signed. To edit them on your system, patch your hypervisor to allow encrypted access to the partition (flash on old systems, hd on new), and mod ps3pf_storage. dev_flash is just a FAT partition, mount it in Linux and change what you'd like.

Nevertheless, it looks like progress is indeed being made editing and replacing an RCO in /dev_flash/vsh/resource/, although it would be nice if the information was made public so that other PS3 Devs in the scene could join in the fun.

From NDT: Le foto sono vere al 100% Ha modificato gli RCO dal dump della ram ma dato che non sono signed questo significa proprio poco. Si vede che stava cercando anche lui qualcosa da postare.

Rough translation: The photos are real 100% Changed the RCO by dump ram but since they have not signed this means just a little. One can see that he was looking for something to post.

Mathieulh: It's real, it has nothing to do with custom backgrounds, what he did was replace a rco file in dev_flash with one he edited (with a custom text in it).

To do that he had to mount dev_flash as rw because it is normally read only. You can do that if you know how to using his exploit under otheros.

As always, more details to come as they are available!

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    sweet! Be better if he shared some stuff though

Hope the dev's here are onto something like this, obviously don't tell us until it's ready though

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    Hope the dev's here are onto something like this, obviously don't tell us until it's ready though
    Until GeoHot shares with other Devs what he shared with Mathieulh and crew on dumping lv2, etc I doubt there will be.

Sure there is a chance PS3 Devs (like simone and Skywalker) will figure it all out, but most of the Devs here have better things to do than spend their time redoing others work simply because they don't wish to share.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Looks like retail to debug is a few weeks away...

Very, very impressive! I wonder why he didn't post any videos though, cuz' by the way posts are being made, soon we'll see plenty of people flaming and accusing him of being a fake. Or perhaps he wants the attention, who knows...

Anyways, I'm just curious to know how far he can go on messing with the console. I mean, any chance of him being close to homebrew? Any guess?

well... really cool news... hope we will see some stuff... and something really really big. Great news... and nice work GEOHOT!

Still can't understand do i need to use exploit or we can just download hacked theme and do this trick? or we need to modify GAMEOS?

Quote Originally Posted by mondoparalelo View Post
    I wonder why he didn't post any videos though, cuz' by the way posts are being made, soon we'll see plenty of people flaming and accusing him of being a fake. Or perhaps he wants the attention, who knows...
    Well, considering we knew he had lv2 dumped over a month ago I doubt it's fake... so that is basically a moot point to most Devs in the scene.

It's clear GeoHot is in it for the attention though, as his last few blog entries have been nothing but showboating versus contributing the useful details on how things are done for other Devs.

Quote Originally Posted by mondoparalelo View Post
    Very, very impressive! I wonder why he didn't post any videos though, cuz' by the way posts are being made, soon we'll see plenty of people flaming and accusing him of being a fake. Or perhaps he wants the attention, who knows...

Anyways, I'm just curious to know how far he can go on messing with the console. I mean, any chance of him being close to homebrew? Any guess?
    its' not fake check the details of the picture

he used a Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

I don't think it's a fake either, mainly because I don't believe he would throw his reputation away like this... he of all people like the "geohot be praised" madness goin' on. And like I'd imagined, his blog is already full of people claiming it's a fake.... ow dammit, the comment section of his blog is absolutely pointless.

But, yeah, the not sharing attitude makes it clear he wants to be the first one and get the credits all for him. For the scene itself, he only leave traces of what he's done so other devs can redo his job and the wiki, but always too late to step ahead of him.

Why share things with Mathieulh though, and only with him, that's the tricky part. Perhaps some people on Mathieulh's team can do a part of the hacking that Geohot ain't able to. Do you know something we don't, boss?

damn, he's smart.. I've read the whole geohot related topics here and I still wonder, whether he will share something if he'll finaly open a door to homebrew?

And he surely loves himself writing "hello geohot" and not "hello world!"
    Last edited by Tidusnake666; 03-18-2010 at 04:32 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News