Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

GeoHot: Don't Update to 3.21, Promises PS3 Custom Firmware

Today infamous PS3 hacker GeoHot has blogged that users should not update their PS3 entertainment systems to PS3 Firmware v3.21 when it is released this Thursday as it will disable the OtherOS functionality, and as incentive not to update he has promised the very community he isn't sharing details on how to dump lv2 with that he will work on a solution which could include PS3 Custom Firmware.

To quote: "A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

Two things, some people seem to think CFW will enable some sort of piracy. It won't. It'll just be a custom version of 3.21 that doesn't lose OtherOS support. Hacking isn't about getting what you didn't pay for, it's about making sure you do get what you did.

And this is about more than this feature right now. It's about whether these companies have the right to take away advertised features from a product you purchased. Imagine if an exploit were found in Safari on the iPhone, but instead of fixing it, Apple decides to pull web browsing altogether. Legally, they may be within their right to do so, but we have to show them it's the wrong move for the future of the product and the company.

First off, I want to apologize to all the people who use Linux on their PS3. Before releasing, I weighed the pros and cons, and considered the possibility of an impact on OtherOS support.

My logic was this. OtherOS support had already been removed from the Slim (not for technical reasons; I believe it only existed in the first place to promote the Cell for IBM) The builders had apparently no intention of including it in future products. So for the purposes of openness why not release? Not like anything else has (or probably will be) done on the PS3.

Now you go and remove a feature that people expected to be included with the expensive device they purchased, citing "security concerns". What security concerns? It's not like the exploit can be run even close to without the users knowledge.

You have to open the thing up. How could this harm users? Your blog post doesn't list positive reasons for upgrading like I think most users expect. Instead it lists things you will lose if you don't upgrade. Seriously?

The PlayStation 3 is the only product I know that loses features throughout it's life cycle. Software PS2 emulation, SACD playback, and OtherOS support are all just software switches you can flip. It's unbelievable you would go and flip one, not just on new boxes you are shipping, but on tens of millions already in the field."

Here is to hoping GeoHot releases a PlayStation 3 solution in a timely manner, as unfortunately the entire PS3 (and Linux) scene is left waiting on him at the moment.

GeoHot: Don't Update to 3.21, Promises PS3 Custom Firmware

More PlayStation 3 News...

The gauntlet has been thrown down, and i reckon things are going to get interesting.

good luck everyone

I agree with his points, i just hope he makes good on his implying he can do something about it. I think Sony made a huge mistake doing this, it makes them look bad. Id be surprised if world wide there was even 1,000 people actively trying his exploit/hack. Im sure there has to be at least a few 100,000 people using it for linux.

Instead of Sony trying to patch the hack in some way their solution is to punish the mass's for what a few people are doing. Seems like this fits in with their technical approach to things. Wait it out or remove it if its an issue.

WOW! It looks like Sony really pissed him off with their decision! After all, THIS is what he's fighting for, his reason to hack systems. He already mentioned that he didn't like how Apple restricted their iPhones from certain things.

I won't update.

He see's this as a new challenge against another major corporation. Just wish he could make this a team effort.

Take that $ony!!!

This is going to be interesting to all that are involved, expect a surge in sales on blu-ray burners in the coming months!!

I'm sure you can count this a some kind of promise, but I think if he sees this post he will get angry with our community once again.

I don't think he actually wrote "I promise to", so he may think we expect him to deliver and accept no "I couldn't find a way".

Things are going to get really interesting now...

Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Things are going to get really interesting now...
    OK I am really conflicted on what I should do now... I have a Launch 60 GB PS3 that got the YLOD. I have been holding on to it with hopes of a hack or custom firmware. After seeing the OtherOS feature being removed I immediately decided I would have to sell it.

The only other alternative is to Keep it til there's a hack and then send it off to sony and hope it doesn't come back with 3.21. What should I do??

Quote Originally Posted by Raze1988 View Post
    I'm sure you can count this a some kind of promise, but I think if he sees this post he will get angry with our community once again.

I don't think he actually wrote "I promise to", so he may think we expect him to deliver and accept no "I couldn't find a way".
    Some sites are reporting he "threatened Sony with PS3 Custom Firmware" but my interpretation of his post is that he is promising those who follow him a solution which (as he stated) may include PS3 CFW.

For the record though, GeoHot is a hypocrite in my book so I could care less whether he agrees with what we post... I don't agree with what he posts (or fails to), but he will continue to do what he wants anyway and all we can do is wait for him to share more than RCO Edits.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast