Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Can someone explain how a modded 3.21 firmware could be run on the PS3 and not lead to some sort of piracy. After all wouldn't it be unsigned code?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by dinzy View Post
    Can someone explain how a modded 3.21 firmware could be run on the PS3 and not lead to some sort of piracy. After all wouldn't it be unsigned code?
    Its not that it won't in the future but more that he won't make CFW with that function built in it, but that doesn't say that someone else will.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm all in for it to preserve OtherOS, so hopefully a custom firmware of sorts will appear... not to promote/endorse piracy for PS3 that is, buy your games! Support the industry.

I see a guy who finally made progress on the PS3, progress that actually caused Sony to completely revert their stance on the OtherOS option. Sony promised they would never, yes they used the word "never", release a firmware update that would remove the OtherOS option from pre-slim units. Then one month later they are removing it.

Am I the only one who thinks this must be a huge hole and a great chance to not update and actually gain access to the hardware of the system?

I am unsure of your doubts folks, the PS3 encryption is going to slow GeoHot for the rest of this endeavour but we will get there. 2 months is a bit ultra-fast for this kind of work. I'm already assuming no updates for my 60GB and a workable hack in more likely 6 months.

Which is why I have upgraded the HD to 500gb, downloaded everything I'll ever want and I'll buy a slim PS3 in the next 2 months to offset my withdrawal symptoms for new games, demos and videos.

It certainly is impossible for some of us to give up on our $800 purchases and very depressing to not update if unprepared. 48 hours to go to prep your systems, there is still time.

Good luck to all.

In all honesty. When I thought about WHAT i would do with my PS3 if it was hacked.. ? The only answer comes to mind. ISO loader! BUT.. If you really think about it. I don't buy all that many games. I think Renting is a BIG cost effective option for playing on the PS3. Buy only those games, which you would go back and play more than 2 time ..

So then, What does hacking really mean for me as a "Hacked PS3" ? OtherOS support definitely. As I am currently using a dedicated computer with my TV. But specifically Hardware3d access for LINUX in OtherOS. That would finally make the Linux portion of PS3 useful. And you can get homebrew on there. Voila.

But thats me personally. So I will give Geo his couple of weeks to mayyyybe a month. To see if he can retain the OtherOS. Else I'll upgrade. End of the day. Its the people you play with online that make it fun. And I'd rather be playing with them than sitting around mumbling.. CFW CFW CFW.. ah my precious...

All around the net people are saying the whole story is Geohot's fault. At first they cheered, now they crawl up Sony's anus.

The only thing to hold against him, is his egoism and not sharing certain things with the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Its not that it won't in the future but more that he won't make CFW with that function built in it, but that doesn't say that someone else will.
    If he manages to do anything related to CFW, then I would expect that it requires the current glitch hardware/exploit to gain control over the HV.

He's got zero chance at creating a signed/encrypted update file for use by most people out there - as the encryption keys are unknown (they're not even present in the PS3 - only decryption keys are there).

Exclamation

its going to get very, very interesting now...

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Pie View Post
    If he manages to do anything related to CFW, then I would expect that it requires the current glitch hardware/exploit to gain control over the HV.
    Correct, a likely scenario (assuming another hole isn't found) will be something along the lines of those with OtherOS on 3.20 will update to a "GeoHot 3.21" via the previously released glitch exploit to mount dev_flash etc and replace the data with a modded 3.21... which can be obtained by decrypting 3.21 via ldr's.

However, once this is done Sony will end up changing the ldr's and keys, although it may be possible to load in and use new ldr's unless checks against the Hypervisor version are added and so on... basically a cat and mouse game like with the PSP.

Needless to say, similar to the PS3 glitch exploit itself, unless a more user-friendly exploit surfaces this process isn't likely to benefit those who can't (or don't have the materials/patience) to perform/trigger the initial exploit so they won't be able to make use of a modded 3.21 Custom Firmware with OtherOS intact.

well when you think about it, George is known for his easy to use hacks: blackra1n for example. its literally plug in your iphone and click one button and your iphone is jailbroken in under 20 seconds. no one expected that so lets see what he can do here. i have confidence.

Sponsored Links
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News