Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Folding At Home PS3 Debug / Test Client is Now Available

Sponsored Links
    First of all- Happy July 4th to our American viewers! As we all know, Folding At Home on the PS3 is really a beast - it knows how to use the hardware efficiently, making the PS3 one of the top [Register or Login to view links] in the entire [Register or Login to view links].

The PS3 Debug / Test version has the included files, sprx's, and the Eboot.bin all decrypted. You can now peel apart the files to see how the Folding@Home client utilizes the power of the PS3.

An interesting note: the configuration file outlines that 6 SPU's are in use, as well as one Raw SPU.

It begs the question, is it 6 SPU's in total, or 6+1 = 7 ?

Download: PS3 Debug Folding At Home (USA) Client

It becomes much more interesting if its 6+1, beckoning rumors of the 8th "disabled" SPU not being disabled at all, but actually, secretly being used for security, while the 7th SPU, that we all thought was for security, was just a front.

It is a bit of a stretch, but it is something to keep in mind while you dig through the Folding@Home client, looking for goodies.

Since this is an old version, when updating on a Development unit from this file, it gets stuck in an "update loop" essentially, and eventually fails to run, so it's not very useful on the PS3, but in a disassembler is another story!

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Since this is an old version, when updating on a Development unit from this file, it gets stuck in an "update loop" essentially, and eventually fails to run
    If anyone with a PS3 Debug/Test console finds a way around that it would be interesting to know, short of using an updated version of course.

In any case, cheers for sharing this CJPC!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thanks CJPC for this share.

Is there a tool to unpack the contents of .pkg besides ps3unpkgr? I have tried searching for something like that but couldn't find anything...

Yes, the SDK has the proper tools in which to unpack these files.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Yes, the SDK has the proper tools in which to unpack these files.
    Well the 1.6 version I got doesn't seem to have anything resembling a tool that would allow me to play with .pkg files... Am I missing something or 1.6 version is not having the tools required?

You probably have the "leaked" version with those tools removed.

the sdk release is a 2 way street, if more people had it, then it may have been possible to move a little further in the process of hacking the ps3. now on the other hand with too many people having the sdk it would end up making it obsolete, since $ony would naturally change there dev process. just a thought, but i could be wrong.

just let me know where to start with the folding@home app

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Well the 1.6 version I got doesn't seem to have anything resembling a tool that would allow me to play with .pkg files... Am I missing something or 1.6 version is not having the tools required?
    Correct, to quote from some older and relevant posts on this topic:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...tml#post252080
    Just a brief update, for those interested: it appears the 1.6 leak on torrents was 156.11MB according to Google. Beyond that, there was also a 209MB and 214MB (topsite) leak of the 1.6 last year. Finally, there was a 2.30 $DK docs leak that was 160MB (originating from Spanish Web sites apparently).
    http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...tml#post252113
    Update: I checked and none of the 1.6 leaks include the 1.6/1.8 compiler nor the required dtnetm file (which links the Debug and PC). However, there was also a 1.92 FULL $DK leak last year (CJPC reminded me of it tonight when speaking to him on this stuff) and the rar is called 192_sdk_full.rar (643MB) which contains PS3_SDK-192_001-Installer_1.0.MSI that includes everything needed. So in short, that is in public circulation and is probably what those out of the loop should be seeking at this time.
    http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ha...tml#post264881
    If you don't have any luck, there is always IRC. Those who have demonstrated via Forum posts a serious effort (you guys know who you are) should get in touch with CJPC there. He may be able to guide you in the right direction... of course, this doesn't apply to those with 1 post who are just looking to acquire such materials for "bragging rights."
    So in short, those who fit the bill should not be afraid to follow my advice if they are still having trouble locating the necessary files. You don't need to be in any 'channel' on IRC, just type in your status window /msg CJPC and type your message and then idle there and he will reply when he is around.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    So in short, those who fit the bill should not be afraid to follow my advice if they are still having trouble locating the necessary files. You don't need to be in any 'channel' on IRC, just type in your status window /msg CJPC and type your message and then idle there and he will reply when he is around.
    Well, I'll take my chance and see if I qualify

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News