Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FCEU NES Emulator Port for PS3 is Under Development

Just under a month ago we reported on an SNES emulator for PS3 under GameOS, and today PSGroove reports that work has started on an FCEU NES emulator port for PlayStation 3 JailBreak users as well!

For those unaware, FCEU (previously known as FCE Ultra) is an open source Nintendo Entertainment System and Family Computer Disk System emulator.

To quote: According to google code, it seems a user by the name of shinhalsafar has begun work on an NES emulator for the PS3.

The project seems to be less than 24 hours old, so it may take some time before something playable is released. However, we look forward to seeing what shinhalsafar has to offer.

b636102a7c:
    - initial commit
    - fceu codebase added
    - Makefile ready
    - pkg directory made
    - basic main routine setup to start cell calls
    - compiles but no NES emulation yet.

dde2dec01a:
    - this build no longer compiles. half way into getting fceu to compile properly.
    - added utils (unzip and 7zip)
    - Makefile attempts to compile all fceu code base now
    - a lot of small changes to get this compiling.
    - removed the lua code from fceu, will never need this

FCEU NES Emulator Port for PS3 is Under Development

More PlayStation 3 News...

great! bring on the emus!

Yes, please. MAME too would be nice. I think there's a PPC version already out there.

Sweet I cant wait! Great job.

Great contribution. Im not that excited because like ps3news said before we played these emulators on the xbox1 and I really got bored of them. But anyhow not many xbox1 are still working so bringing them to the ps3 is a big plus. On the other hand theres always a game to come back and check out, for me is a snes game, final fantasy VI which I havent played yet and the emu will make it posible.

What we didnt get on the xbox1 era was a ps1 port that really worked 100% so that would be nice or a ps2 emu that works good. But anyway, with so many great games right now I really see it quite difficult to find some time to grab the old ones. But thanks again for the work, I hope its a great learning experience porting this emu to the ps3.

Also I would like to ask you all a question, are you really going to use your ps3 as a nes, snes emulator or any other old console? I ask this because xbox360, ps3s and most of the current gen hardware seems to break after a couple of years if they even last that long, so are you really going to blow that "life" your console has to play a nes game? Or are you planning to use xbox media center for example to kill that "life" watching supernatural or any other show? Because I think there are far easier ways to get all this stuff with out burning a console. Well just asking to know what you people think.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 10-13-2010 at 02:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Great contribution. Im not that excited because like ps3news said before we played these emulators on the xbox1 and I really got bored of them. But anyhow not many xbox1 are still working so bringing them to the ps3 is a big plus. On the other hand theres always a game to come back and check out, for me is a snes game, final fantasy VI which I havent played yet and the emu will make it posible.
    Lol I still have my modded xbox and she still boots but for some reason when I got my new tv the fceu on my box stopped displaying video right and I was never able to get it right again. So im pretty happy about this even if I only play a few hours of games on it its still a great homebrew for the scene. Sony takes Other OS and we add Nintendo and Super Nintendo..... Classic.

Also I would like to ask you all a question, are you really going to use your ps3 as a nes, snes emulator or any other old console? I ask this because xbox360, ps3s and most of the current gen hardware seems to break after a couple of years if they even last that long, so are you really going to blow that "life" your console has to play a nes game? Or are you planning to use xbox media center for example to kill that "life" watching supernatural or any other show? Because I think there are far easier ways to get all this stuff with out burning a console. Well just asking to know what you people think.
    You edited your post while I was writing mine. Its not so much as burning up a console I still have my launch 60gb and she still kicks just fine, but many others have died and with these things going for $150 used in some places its another disposable 4 year piece of guts and plastic. On the other side for some poor kid who does not have anything other than a PS3 its a gift from the PS3 Dev gods.
    Last edited by twitch; 10-13-2010 at 02:38 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Im not that excited because like ps3news said before we played these emulators on the xbox1 and I really got bored of them.
    Yea, like most retrogamers I have a MAME cabinet that uses a frontend to run a variety of emulators with the classic joystick controls and buttons.

I also have them on my laptop and can use the video out on that to hook up to a TV to run them that way, which is a lot more portable of course.

If I didn't have either of those I probably would be more excited about PS3 EMU ports of course, as I do believe emulation is preservation and every now and then I just have to fire up the classics to relive the good 'ol days.

This is great news for me. I have been wondering why there was no NES emulator (I actually questioned it in an IRC channel yesterday). My kids enjoy the old retro games I grew up on, and this will bring them another way to play them besides PC. Besides that, Dragon Warrior III will be awesome forever!

First SNES, now NES, can wait to see Genesis, NeoGeo, MAME, MSX and others to pop! Great era of 8 and 16 bits days... it brings back so many good memories!

I think all Ninty needs ported how about Dolphin (Wii/Game Cube) yeah ok maybe N64 too.
    Last edited by bitsbubba; 10-13-2010 at 09:31 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast