Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DOStoPS3 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App by d0zs is Released

Today PS3 developer d0zs has released DOStoPS3, a PS3 DOSBox Port homebrew application with source code that allows users to package DOS games for the PlayStation 3 and run them on Custom Firmware followed by versions 1.1 and 1.2 below.

Download: DOStoPS3 v1.0 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App / DOStoPS3 v1.1 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App / DOStoPS3 v1.1a PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App / DOStoPS3 v1.2 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App / DOStoPS3 v1.0 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App Source Code / DOStoPS3 v1.1 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App Source Code / DOStoPS3 v1.2 PS3 DOSBox Port Homebrew App Source Code

To quote: Figured i was overdue for a scene app, so let me know how this works out for you...

v1.0 MD5: 5B74F8094A8D4658519A633CFBED1E18
    v1.1 MD5: A804E723399AC9E1F65350E6844BCFCD
    v1.1a MD5: C2B10172A7C155520AE8221E6BA67D0E
    v1.2 MD5: 37C022B69D312E9C4C376EEC28F65BA7

This makes the task of using robohobo's DOSBox port much easier. tested on win7 x64 & xp x32.

I made use of resources and compacted everything into one exe (psn_package_npdrm, dll's, etc) so that's why it's a big file.

As always, here's the source (vb2010). I just figured out the keys, i'll make a graphical binder when i get time:

d-pad up "stick_0 button 11"
    d-pad right "stick_0 button 12"
    d-pad down "stick_0 button 13"
    d-pad left "stick_0 button 14"

left-axis up "stick_0 axis 1 0"
    left-axis right "stick_0 axis 0 1"
    left-axis down "stick_0 axis 1 1"
    left-axis left "stick_0 axis 0 0"

x "stick_0 button 0"
    square "stick_0 button 1"
    circle "stick_0 button 2"
    triangle "stick_0 button 3"

L1 "stick_0 button 6"
    L2 "stick_0 button 4"

R1 "stick_0 button 7"
    R2 "stick_0 button 5"

DOStoPS3 v1.1 (10/3/2011) Changelog:

Added option for background image, added option for music, added icon/image dimension requirements, enabled window's UI progress bar when transferring large files, minor code improvements, and fixed temp folder "access denied" problem a couple users had.

It's not a necessary update, but if you're looking for these new features or had a temp folder problem, give this a try.

DOStoPS3 v1.1a (10/3/2011) Changelog:
    • silent update for icon dimension fix

DOStoPS3 v1.2 (10/7/2011) Changelog:
    • added graphical mapper, now uses new /tmp/ folder

Update: Pete_uk has now compiled DOSBOX 0.74 PS3 by Robo Hobo for ALL PS3 CFW (via techbliss.org/threads/dosbox-0-74-ps3-by-robo-hobo-for-all-cfws.136/)

Download: DOSBOX 0.74 PS3 by Robo Hobo for ALL PS3 CFW

Usage

Install package, then FTP or MMOS to copy your DOS games to: /dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR

Launch DOPSBox, and enter the following:

mount c ~/
    c:

You're in DOS country now. (Enter dir and you should see the games you copied there.) USB mouse and keyboard are supported, and use of a keyboard in particular is highly recommended. A software mouse & keyboard are also built in.

Using soft mouse and keyboard

When loading the application PS3 game pad one begins in Mouse Mode. In mouse mode the left stick moves the cursor, Cross sends a left click, and Square sends a right click. Pressing L3 will turn on keyboard mode.

In keyboard mode, the left stick moves the cursor, pressing cross presses the highlighted key. When a key is highlighted and any button is pressed (other than Cross, Square, L3 and R3) that button will be mapped to the key, in mouse mode pressing the button will be the same as pressing the key on the keyboard. Press L3 to return to mouse mode. This is useful, for example, to map the DPad to the keyboards arrow keys.

In mouse mode, press R3 to enter joystick mode. In this mode the game pad acts as an SDL joystick.

Editing dosbox.conf

Advanced configuration can be carried out by editing dosbox.conf, which is located at:
    /dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR/.dosbox/dosbox.conf

Note that /.dosbox is a hidden directory, so you may need to make hidden files viewable in your FTP client. (You may also need to run DOSBox once before dosbox.conf appears.) FTP the file back to your computer and open it in a text editor. The Please login or register to view links details all the configuration options.

Issues

There are still some performance bottlenecks. In testing cycle values above 10000 provided the most issues. Tweaking some values in dosbox-0.74.conf may help to improve performance.
    • There are still some usability issues with the on screen keyboard. If a lot of typing is necessary you may consider hooking up a physical one.
    • Using the fluidsynth midi synth requires a soundfont is sf2 format. Place the file on the PS3 and edit dosbox-0.74.conf to set the value 'midiconfig' to the full path to the file. It's also necessary to change the 'mididevice' option to the value 'synth'.
    • There is currently no PS3 optimized loader. The DOS commands needed to launch the game need to be type every time you start the app. You can reduce the typing by adding common lines to the dosbox config file's autoexec section.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Lol, this is what I used. Great program - makes these mystical DOS loaders so user-friendly!

I made a toonstruck pkg with this. Game works but it's too slow to play

Click the 'Modify DOSBOX options' checkbox, and try setting the cpu cycles to 5000. Save the config file, close it, then make your game. It should play faster. Experiment with different cpu cycles for best performance - sometimes too fast will distort the audio. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Doom was probably best played on a computer back in the day. So this is probably the best way to play doom on the PS3.

How do you map keyboard controls to controller before it compiles the PKG ?

I think you can map the keyboard controls after you make the the PKG by pressing "Triangle" or something like that.

To bring up the keyboard commands when playing a game, click L3 (make sure you are in mouse mode by clicking R3 once or twice). Then you can 'press' enter or your ctrl-alt commands at a menu screen in the game, and bind your own controls in-game. You can also calibrate your joystick. This is how I got Rollin working (although the centering was off and I kept rolling left for some reason).

Quote Originally Posted by HeyManHRU View Post
    Doom was probably best played on a computer back in the day. So this is probably the best way to play doom on the PS3.
    Well, the problem with some games is that this version of DOSBox is only compiled to emulate a 386, so later DOS games that require, say, a 486 or pentium 90 are kinda sol (like Quake, Tomb Raider or Carmageddon). But the majority of classics should run fine. Doom only required a 386 though.
    Last edited by moja; 10-02-2011 at 01:23 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Check Change Binds and that will map the keyboard and allow you to edit the controls.

A better answer... thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast