Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

DoPSBox - DOSBox PS3 Emulator in Development by Robo Hobo

Sponsored Links
    Today PlayStation 3 developer Robo Hobo has announced that a port of the DOSBox emulator for PS3 is currently in development.

To quote: I'm gonna go ahead and announce my intent to port this (along with SDL) to the PS3 cell SDK. There's still lots of clean up to be done, but I've got dosbox running, including games (I've only tested 'Eye of the Beholder'). The SDL port is still missing audio, mouse, and joystick support.

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas that can be used to allow this to be used to its fullest without hooking up a keyboard. Any ideas on how to mount and load the games, or handling kb input in the games would be appreciated.

Hopefully with an SDL port, other apps can be ported too (that SDL version of mame is looking pretty juicy).

I'll post again later with a link to a code repo. For the curious, here are the code repos for SDL and dosbox. It still needs quite a bit of work, so I wouldn't go too far out of my way to build them yet.

[Register or Login to view links]
    [Register or Login to view links]

For those who are interested to build them, this guide below which has been taken from the source code page wiki might help you.

How to build:

- First install sdcell ([Register or Login to view links]).

- Place the path to 'ppu-lv2-g++' in your path. Set the environment variable CELL_SDK to the path to your sdk. Set the environmnet variable SDCELL to the path where you build sdcell.

Use the following command to run the configure script:

SDL_CONFIG=./sdl-config-ps3 CC=ppu-lv2-gcc CXX=ppu-lv2-g++ ./configure --disable-dynamic-core --host=powerpc

Finally run make to build.

DoPSBox - DOSBox PS3 Emulator in Development by Robo Hobo

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Awesomesauce... So many classic games I hoped they'd port to PS3 but this takes care of that without the need for a port!

Bravo Robo Hobo!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yeah !!! Then i can Play ANVIL OF DAWN !

Very cool. Some of my favorite games were DOS based. Now if only I had a 5 1/4" USB floppy drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    Now if only I had a 5 1/4" USB floppy drive.
    Well - technically - you can (although most certainly PS3 will simply igmore it anyway) - just gut out the 3.5" USB kit, plug in the 5.25" drive instead and use exteranl power supply - voila

Banned User
    Scummvm runs great on the PS3 and many games already run at 100%. There are certain games that don't work though so hopefully they will run on this port of DOSBox.

Naaaaais ! Would love to play doom and duke nukem 3d on my PS3.. why ? Because i can !

DoPSBox v0.74 PS3 R1 DOSBox Emulator Arrives

This weekend PlayStation 3 developer Robo Hobo has released DoPSBox v0.74 R1, which is a DOSBox Emulator for homebrew fans and PS3 Custom Firmware users.

Download: [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links]

From the ReadMe file: DOSBox-0.74-ps3-r1

Issues: There are still some performance bottlenecks. In testing cycle values above 10000 provided the most issues. Tweaking some values in dosbox-0.74.conf may help to improve performance.

There are still some usability issues with the on screen keyboard. If a lot of typing is necessary you may consider hooking up a physical one.

Using the fluidsynth midi synth requires a soundfont is sf2 format. Place the file on the PS3 and edit dosbox-0.74.conf to set the value 'midiconfig' to the full path to the file. It's also necessary to change the 'mididevice' option to the value 'synth'.

There is currently no PS3 optimized loader. The DOS commands needed to launch the game need to be type every time you start the app. You can reduce the typing by adding common lines to the dosbox config file's autoexec section.

Using soft mouse and keyboard:

When loading the application PS3 game pad one begins in Mouse Mode. In mouse mode the left stick moves the cursor, Cross sends a left click, and Square sends a right click. Pressing L3 will turn on keyboard mode.

In keyboard mode, the left stick moves the cursor, pressing cross presses the highlighted key. When a key is highlighted and any button is pressed (other than Cross, Square, L3 and R3) that button will be mapped to the key, in mouse mode pressing the button will be the same as pressing the key on the keyboard. Press L3 to return to mouse mode. This is useful, for example, to map the DPad to the keyboards arrow keys.

In mouse mode, press R3 to enter joystick mode. In this mode the game pad acts as an SDL joystick.

From Medox: Those who want to mount folders from the ps3's hdd:

1. Use openps3ftp (or something similar) and create a folder inside dosbox's USRDIR: /dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR/yourfolder

2. open /dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf and add this at the very bottom (after [autoexec]): mount c ~/yourfolder

Guide to "Install" Windows 95 and Windows 98 on PS3 using Dosbox by [Register or Login to view links]:

Windows 95 on DOSBox PS3 Guide:

THINGS YOU NEED

1. a ps3
    2. Openftpserver 2.1 or lower
    3. dosbox already installed
    4. this pack [Register or Login to view links]
    • extract win95.rar onto desktop
    • open filezilla and connect to PS3 with Openftpserver
    • transfer the win95 folder to dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR and it NEED TO BE like this:

• now go to ps3 and open Dosbox
    • now write mount c ~/win95
    • then c:
    • then imgmount a w95.img
    • then boot w95.img
    • then ENJOY

Windows 98 on DOSBox PS3 Guide:

REQUIREMENTS

1. A PS3
    2. A Keyboard
    3. A Pc
    4. This pack [Register or Login to view links]
    • first of all, extract the folder Windows98 in the desktop
    • open filezilla and connect to PS3 with Openftpserver
    • rename the windows98 folder to WIN98 and transfer to
    • dev_hdd0/game/HBDB90000/USRDIR
    • now go to your ps3 and open DOSBOX
    • then write mount c ~/
    • then c:
    • then cd WIN98
    • then imgmount a w98.img
    • then boot w98.img
    • then enjoy windows 98!

DoPSBox v0.74 PS3 R1 DOSBox Emulator for CFW Arrives

DoPSBox v0.74 PS3 R1 DOSBox Emulator for CFW Arrives

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

bgxs11.png  

koolies... anyone can make a better quality video for us please.. this is great..

i actually have a win95 disc to.. can you put xp or 7 on it?

thanks

The FTP stuff sounds pretty superfluous, you could just as easily make the folder and copy the files over with a generic file manager couldn't you?

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast