Alexmagno: If you replace the font.lzs no letters will be displayed. The game expects letters encoded in SJIS. But I tried this before our hacks. Maybe by changing the letters the new font.lzs will be accepted. I will try it and report.
I have put everything we have done together and it looks pretty good. Here are some screenshots for you. We are on the right track! I replaced the english name.dat too and it worked.
There's something we have to fix:
1. There's a crash on the second Level right after the stage selection. We have to find out which file causes the crash and fix it. I'm sure there is a small formatting error in one file.
2. The apostrophe thing but there are different solutions for this.
3. The first Tutorial main stage name is not shown in english but the sub stages are right. I'm sure the name is in the eboot.elf (by the way there are ALL the menu texts, Geo info, item bonus, Combat info inside too).
Yeah, after messing with the ffm, it's definitely the one file that can fix the character issues (missing apostrophes, double spacing etc.).
I copied the top of the english font.ffm onto the japanese font.ffm and got actual letters showing up now, but with very bad spacing issues.
After we finish the translation we'll have to experiment with that file.
Edit: Using Jap font.ffm with eng top part of font.ffm and eng font.lzs