I'm just wondering what other people have figured out so far. As is mods that run stable without crashing PS3. So far I've managed the following with PS3 USB Custom Firmware Loader and RCOMage:
1. To swap categories in XMB around
2. Edit almost all text such as category names errormessages, warnings, explanations etc
3. Also remove any of the crappy widely unused icons , eg life with playstation, memorycard utility ps2 .
These are fairly simple mods done with rcomage and notepad.
1. Swapping categories around is as simple as remaning category XML files in \dev_flash\vsh\resource\explore\xmb eg. swap names on category_music.xml with category_photo.xml and the categories will swap in the XMB
2. Editing on screen text is as simple as extracting RCO file with rcomage, go into text folder, open English.xml and edit the entries you want, eg
Put simply the entry "msg_game_setting_explanation" is the firmwares way of asking for the message to be displayed, depending on language selected on your PS3 it looks to the corresponding xml, in the case my PS3 is set to English its the english.xml it reads so it displays on screen the message "Adusts settings for games". We can justy edit any of the language xmls to display whatever we want onscreen.just edit, recompile with rcomage and replace in your usb firmware files.
<Text name="msg_game_setting_explanation">Adjusts settings for games.</Text>
<Text name="msg_video_setting">Video Settings</
3. Deleting icons is fairly simple too , Browse to \dev_flash\vsh\resource\explore\xmb and open any of the category.xml files with notepad , then just edit out references like this after Where it says
The entries starting with query are the ones to delete
These examples are from game category menu, gamedata , memorycard utility, save data psp and so on...
Anyone figured out how to add new icons yet?