Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Piracy is bad! Sony will release new hardware and soon game developer will move to new hardware. PS3 will be dead with no new games like PS2. Everyone will be so happy to spent more money to buy new system thanks to these hackers. I really hope they don't bust the game business.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sony made its biggest mistake in the PS3 realm by removing OtherOS (save the trouble of tying it to anger etc). It's second biggest mistake will be to go after geohot or f0f. You can bet he will get huge funding for defense from everyone including wealthy anonymous private sources (I have a $100 reserved already and more if needed personally ) not to mention that piracy will really take off because of the controversy and the ease of the even-a-cave-man-can-do-it hack that are on the way.

First order of things would be to correct its own mistakes in code, see if a different hardware version is a feasibility, expedite PS4 development and hire geohot. Don't make stupid hasty decisions by taking a legal recourse in this instance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Chivafighter View Post
    Wow, The only way to fix this is for sony to release new hardware.
    Not at all. Sony will release a new Firmware that uses new (correct) public keys. All new Software released is signed with a new correct signing routine. All older software get´s an update from PSN that uses the new signing procedure. As usual all PSN connects require the latest Firmware. That´s it and the hole is closed... at least for newly sold consoles and all those who want to connect to the PSN.

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but new hardware won't fix the signing of files with the master key, the new hardware will only fix the bootloader not allowing the replacement of lv2/GameOS on startup.

They would need to replace the masterkey with a new one but make new hardware backward compatible with the old keys so that all current software would run, but then you would need to make all new software work on old hardware using the old keys, so there screwed key wise, unless they just forget old systems and all 40+ million consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by tifozi1 View Post
    Sony made its biggest mistake in the PS3 realm by removing OtherOS.
    Nobody could find that mistake in Sony´s Signing procedure without having access to Sony´s signing codec. So I am quite sure that this was not a common hack. Getting the private keys is rather the result of a whistleblower information from a Sony insider...

So if I were Sony I would prosecute the know people to the maximum extent possible under the law. The are known violators of releasing privately held informations which will result in severe civil and criminal penalties in nearly all western countries. In addition to that this enforces a huge pressure on these guys to uncover the whistleblower to Sony...

We will see if Sony boldly goes where no one has gone before...

Any how that is incorrect aslong as they release firmwares for the 40+ million consoles out there we can get all the keys so there screwed. New hardware would close the bootloader bug that would mean they can't get keys or replace the lv2 loader/app.

From what I get from reading all these threads and watching the console hacking videos is sony are screwed sideways with this there is nothing bar new hardware will fix this (this I'm not sure about, keys or just the bootloader bug)

there is never "nothing" that can be done. Sony has an obligation to the devs to try and seal the system back down. I don't think it will work well, but they still must do it.

F0F claims to have found out about their signing bug by decrypting the bits of info they had on the system. Nothing to do with insider information. Sure there was leaks about the service jig, and the dev software has leaked a few times, but none of that has really done much here.

Geohot still used his otheros hack to get into the system before anything else. He peek and poked around and dumped bits of HV a few bits at a time. Twiizers did pretty much the same thing on the wii. And it had no leaks at all. Look where it is now. entirely off dumped and decrypted data.

THE PS3 is in the same position now. I think the even bigger news is that keys for the PSP were inside the PS3 fw. So we got a 2 for 1 deal. PSP is at the end of its life cycle though. so not much loss there. PS3 was supposed to have at least another 5 years before it was going to be looked at being replaced.

Sony still has lots of options though.. we have not heard the last of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zarcon View Post
    Piracy is bad! Sony will release new hardware and soon game developer will move to new hardware. PS3 will be dead with no new games like PS2. Everyone will be so happy to spent more money to buy new system thanks to these hackers. I really hope they don't bust the game business.
    i'm not for piracy, but you're talking straight up BS.

the ps2 was modded less than a YEAR (neo 2, then the 44 wire neo mod, then omega team, then all the clones, and still is). ps2's modding was ONLY for piracy. this can be used for development use too, unlike ps2 mods.

ps2 modding was HUGE - and it still was hugely successful. you act as if there was no copying ever on ps2 and it was so secure. do you live under a rock?

Thats true, the ps3 will make hits what so ever. I find it crazy though that both geohot and fail0verflow went public though, but its our gain in knowledge and homebrew aka bootleg backups.

The idea that Sony have no next move makes the assumption that Sony won't do anything to the system that will effect legitimate users. They've always been happy to take away features in the past to lock down systems, it's more than likely they'll at least try something that causes all sorts of compatibility issues with old games and older models.

The music and film industries have shown us two things. Many of them would rather have strong copy protection than universal workability - and being able to easily make copies of things doesn't kill the business.

Personally I think the PS3 will thrive. It's a powerful device, with clever people working on writing cool apps instead of focussing on breaking protection, it could be awesome.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News