Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Geohot is an excellent hacker, sure he would hack the PS3, but after he betrayed the iPhone Dev-Team after leaking their unlock for iPhone 3Gs, it would be hard to trust him.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by mondoparalelo View Post
    So how you expect to decrypt anything when every time you try to do it you're taken to a deeper layer of encryption that will only stop at the Cell hardware?

If you cannot obtain any encryption key in the middle of the way and you don't have access to memmory, how else are you supposed to get the keys if not by trying to rip it off the hardware itself? And what do you mean by "no hardware manipulation will help you at all. And these are still protected by chain of trust"?
    What I meant is that even if you were able to retrieve the keys from hardware they would be the public keys usable for decrypting the binaries or verifying digital signatures. These keys cannot be used for encrypting/signing binaries (yours - i.e. patched/hacked/...) in a way that would allow you to run them.

Sponsored Links

New Geohot post

Sponsored Links
    what you reckon he is talking about iPhone or ps3

"geohot: i just realized like all cell phone basebands run microkernel OSes. i am now enjoying this project more"

maybe nothing to do with either, always good when a hacker says they are enjoying something though I think

i think he was talking about the PS3. i hope he was..

Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    What I meant is that even if you were able to retrieve the keys from hardware they would be the public keys usable for decrypting the binaries or verifying digital signatures. These keys cannot be used for encrypting/signing binaries (yours - i.e. patched/hacked/...) in a way that would allow you to run them.
    Thanks for the reply, but I still have a few other questions:

What about the keys used by the PS3 to encrypt data, like the HDD? I assume this keys must be stored somewhere inside the PS3, am I right? Isn`t it possible to retrieve them?

And the keys used by Sony to encrypt and sign their software, can`t them be retrieved from files such as a firmware update? That is, if we could read them.

Sorry if I`m being annoying with all those questions, I`m just trying to learn something about encryption/decryption.

No becouse we know that the private key is stored in the Cell.And in case to the Wii the common-key,boot0 and boot1 are also stored in the Wii's security chip = the GPU "Starlight".

So i belive that all importend keys (not only the private one) will be stored in the Cell CPU and what i know till yet no one hase managed to dump it out the Cell.

And in case of to obtain the de-/cryption keys from the FW jump back to line 1

i hope he can do something with the ps3 Hardware. Nothing is Impossible... and hey... he is a cutie, too xD

Quote Originally Posted by cfwprophet View Post
    No becouse we know that the private key is stored in the Cell.
    Oh thanks a lot! So the information that the private key isn't stored inside the processor is innacurate, isn't it? Now things start to make sense to me again!
    Quote Originally Posted by cfwprophet View Post
    till yet no one hase managed to dump it out the Cell
    And at least for the private key we know for sure that no one will ever dump it, since it never abandons the chip (I wish we had a ship smily... come to think about it, ships remind me of pirates)

Well, looks like geohot ain't working in the ps3 anymore...
    @dayloon @benzworm not ps3, and not 3.1. other stuff, i wish i had more time
    That's pretty sad. Well, it happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    That's pretty sad. Well, it happens...
    Is it really? I mean, he would be of great help, no doubts about it, but he didn`t do much anyway. He just started checking the PS3, noticed it wasn`t all that simple and sort of lost interest.

I was too following his post on twitter and the impression I got is that he expected something simpler and faster to do. As no exploit was easily found and he wasn`t finding ways to get to the hypervisor, he kinda gave up for the time being. That`s only my impression though...

Sponsored Links
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News