Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb Anyone look at the PS3 media card reader?

Sponsored Links
    Anyone think to look at the PS3 media card reader? I have a launch 60gb model, so i have the card reader thing.

i wonder if it has the proper chipset to be flashed? i've yet to open my ps3, & my warranty is up already, but id rather NOT open it, unless somone confims that the media hub in the ps3 is in fact able to be flashed (i hsave a feeling that it might be able to, also it should have proper paths/files/access to the ps3)

so if somone has opened thier ps3 & has the media hub... check it out, take pics & let me know... i have a good feeling about it tho... wonder why they removed it?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    A usb powered card reader works through the front usb's so i doubt it's any different to them, probably just an internal usb slot for it like on a pc motherboard.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i've got a 60 gb open on the floor in my lab right now, what do you need to know or see? i could use a fun project for the week.

I'm not sure exactly what your getting at by wanting to look at the Card reader hardware.

Anyway, the 80GB model also has the media card readers. The only one that doesn't have it are the slim models as far as I know.

It is also correct that a USB card reader adapter can be plugged into the PS3's USB port to add card reader functionality if it is missing the card readers. I've seen some in gamestop.

what i'm saying, is i think the card reader is a controller of sorts... it can read different formats... meaning it should have a half decent proc on it, so its possible that we (people with them, & not all fats have them, i know a bunch of people with various models of fats (the newer ones) that don't have them))

but then we mnight be able to flash that controller, then run a short cable down (or maybe be able to do it via the OEM connections to the mother board) & boom i now dont have to buy a dev board....

imtoodvs

just pics of the card readers PCB (close & high res if possible)

I see what you mean now. I think i'd rather pay 20-30 bucks than have to open my PS3 and move cables around and solder parts though.

That sounds very risky, but if you want to give it a try, be our guest!

i'm gonna try, but i dont wanna open my ps3 unless i can get some pics of the card reader PCB & chips... if the chips are compatable, then i will open it & try to flash the chip... or try to work up a proper prot for it.

Ever since I got the YLoD on my 60gb (didn't clean out the dust it it and it got overheated) I need to open it up every 3 weeks of so to fix it and I can say that the cardreader is one of the most easiest parts to look at. Just open the hood and it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by drLipton View Post
    Ever since I got the YLoD on my 60gb (didn't clean out the dust it it and it got overheated) I need to open it up every 3 weeks of so to fix it and I can say that the cardreader is one of the most easiest parts to look at. Just open the hood and it's there.
    That one gave me a good chuckle.

So why couldn't we use a USB card reader and load PSGroove onto the memory card? I would think there would be some way of getting the card to run the code.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News