Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    the exploit is caused by simulating inserting a usb,disconnect usb insert a different usb, disconnect, insert a different usb and so on all within a very short space of time triggering an overflow of some sort, then being able to inject some code.

Kind of!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yes and I would think that could be run from an SD card or such which is inserted into a USB card reader.

Maybe not...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
    Yes and I would think that could be run from an SD card or such which is inserted into a USB card reader.

Maybe not...
    It's not that simple. Trust me, I wish it was.

i definetly see what your proposing here and definetly would need some work to be done.. First step is finding out what chip is used on the usb memory card reader, because im pretty sure that it is a "hub" of some sorts... to say. if the chip thats in there is a programmable one, it would be one for the community because that has a Sony ID on it, just like the jig, but i dont think it would be easy for sony to patch it because they rely on the memory card reader/usb as a way of updating their console.

Someone please get some pictures of that card reader posted up. But then again you would need to get some hefty hardware (if flashable) to see what the schematic is for PCB and chip.

Triplex was it you that said that you had access to this hardware from work/school/university?

Quote Originally Posted by drLipton View Post
    Ever since I got the YLoD on my 60gb (didn't clean out the dust it it and it got overheated) I need to open it up every 3 weeks of so to fix it and I can say that the cardreader is one of the most easiest parts to look at. Just open the hood and it's there.
    youre not doing it right my ylod repairs haven't died on me yet and i've been doing them for months.

and when they DO fail, i'll invest in learning how to reball

Quote Originally Posted by djklown View Post
    i definetly see what your proposing here and definetly would need some work to be done.. First step is finding out what chip is used on the usb memory card reader, because im pretty sure that it is a "hub" of some sorts... to say. if the chip thats in there is a programmable one, it would be one for the community because that has a Sony ID on it, just like the jig, but i dont think it would be easy for sony to patch it because they rely on the memory card reader/usb as a way of updating their console.

Someone please get some pictures of that card reader posted up. But then again you would need to get some hefty hardware (if flashable) to see what the schematic is for PCB and chip.

Triplex was it you that said that you had access to this hardware from work/school/university?
    Yeah, that would be me. I had originally proposed decapping the Jailbreak chips before PSGroove had been released. I had everything I needed, I just needed access to a 100x or higher optical microscope (which the University graciously said I could use). I have a spare memcard board from an old broken PS3 sitting in my shed somewhere. I'll find it, and see if I can decap it.

Hardest part is getting ahold of some non-fuming nitric acid. I found a procedure an old friend Travis Goodspeed has been using that doesn't require NFNA nor a vent hood, but I'm a bit wary about doing it, as it may be overly destructive to the ICs.
    Last edited by tripellex; 09-09-2010 at 08:58 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd rather hope someone finds a way to use the backup manager without the use for a disc in the drive.

That would make me extremely happy as ive got a ps3 with a broken bluray drive..

sorry about the name mess up but i was close and im lazy like that... but still a good memory... anywho check out that board and let me know what you see on it maybe a picture sent my way would be good if you see anything noteworthy... if there is i bet there is a noble cause behind this.

I'm afraid that chip(s) on PS3's card reader board (if any) would be dumb stock chips without any options being programmed - basically just a passive USB hub as the access to cards would be directly built into PS3's FW ...

Also - it's really not THAT hard to google the PS3's dissassembly photos and videos all over the web with every board and chip detailed
    Last edited by GrandpaHomer; 09-12-2010 at 01:11 PM

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News