Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb Anyone got an electron microscope?

Sponsored Links
    Title sounds crazy, but I'm willing to bet someone has access to an electron microscope. If so, could someone please map a few Blu-Ray games under the electron microscope. We could then translate the data to a perfect binary copy and come up with a disc loader, maybe. Regardless, we could translate the images into a 1:1 binary copy.

Maybe some people would see what I'm getting at, check commonalities in the boot sectors. Just a matter of copying binary data, or a binary-optical media burner. I know this would take someone a long time under the scope. But, if someone has a multimillion dollar electron microscope hanging out in their garage maybe they could take the initiative?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I asked this question a while back, but in terms on the motherboard ;]

that'd be hard to get your hands on if anyone had one in the first place though.
    we could in fact dump lots of things from the board if it'd fit. pretty interesting concept with the blu-ray discs though.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It's a pretty crazy idea

But to be honest, it would be an overkill as there are working drives to read the grooves in the disk (all DB-ROM drive). But they mostly do interpretation so you cannot get raw data. However there is a clear raw binary data somewhere inside, that's what you need to extract somehow.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Average BD disc = say 25GB.
    Each GB has 1,073,741,824 bytes.
    The BD disk is written in bits, so 1,073,741,824 * 8 = 8589934592.
    Then times this by say 25 GB, = 214748364800.

That 214 Billion, 748 Million, 364 Thousand and 800 bits of information that you would need to view, record and somhow order into the structure of a disk.

This is the number of bits on the disc, which is exactly 25GB. And each pit on the disc would represent a bit, and then its in multiple layers of dye, which I would assume would be a pain in the ass to read unless you use a laser which had been designed for the very purpose. (A bd drive).

Im not sure how long it would take to record 1000 bits correctly, let alone this impossible number.

:-P

sorry dude, but your math and knowledge is lacking. Actually, that 25gb is only the payload, but in order to operate correctly, every storage system uses sync, address, and error-handling data. Furthermore, the bits not 1:1 represent the pits on the disc; they are coded with special algorithms to be more error-tolerant and easier to read by the laser/electronics. These are buried under the drive circuits, but believe me, it's there. (these 'side-infos' was very popular on CDs)

Quote Originally Posted by MagikRevolver View Post
    if someone has a multimillion dollar electron microscope hanging out in their garage
    This sounds so TRUE! because I bet someone does

You get people that collect random crap they don't know what it is/don't need and I bet someone has one in there garage somewhere.

The million dollar thing was a bit of an exaggeration. Its more like 40 grand for a good used one. Maybe I can lock myself in my schools lab and use it overnight to map out the boot sector. Ohh, but the risk of getting caught.

However, I know what you are talking about with using a laser, but minus the interpretation. Perhaps a reflash of a BD drive and a custom driver might allow for the dumping of raw binary data. That would seem to be easier than hacking the ps3 hardware itself.

Lightbulb

Why do you have to read the entire disc? What is the purpose? The authentication data is probably stored somewhere at the beginning...

But what if it's scattered all around the disc? Like hardcoded/correlated to raw bits, and with proper authenticate it gives you an alternate content than you can read with standard readers. (i don't know.. just a possibility..)

Actually I think it can be understood with the detection time of the disc. When you instert an oroginal disc, if the time for PS3 to undertsand the authenticy of the disc is short, that maybe means that the data is actually stored in just one or two places.

Otherwise it would take a lot of time..

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News