Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I tend to agree with SCE that it is unlikely, though plausible, it is located around the disc, at least on the initial read. However, SCE, is your eye keen enough to tell binary boot/authentication data from binary execution data? Reading the raw data there would be no way to tell where the boot ends and the application data begins. You would have to map out much of multiple discs to view similarities in the binary data at certain parts (beginning/boot).

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    It would be far easier to hack a cheap BD-ROM to have access to the raw bitstream than to try to transcribe the disc contents from microscope images IMO.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...ive-follow-up/

http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation3/...s3-game-discs/

I highly think that no one backed up a game via that way and then burned it and tried it...

Hmm - I would have assumed that any BD-ROM is able to read the PS3 discs. The trick is to read the parts of the disc that contain the keys and are not part of the UDF filesystem.

Can anybody confirm that some PC BD-ROM drives can't read PS3 discs at all?

One other thing - assuming one manages to extract the interesting parts using a microscope - that information would be of little use as long as no BD-R burner will be able to write to the disc areas in question, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sapperlott View Post
    It would be far easier to hack a cheap BD-ROM to have access to the raw bitstream than to try to transcribe the disc contents from microscope images IMO.
    The electron microscope was mostly a joke. I was just talking about a raw binary dump.

Well, it seems a Lite-On DH-401S would be the drive to start with. So, who wants to write a raw dumper/burner?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MagikRevolver View Post
    So, who wants to write a raw dumper/burner?
    The folks over at rpc1.org have tons of experience reversing drive firmware and would be my go-to guys.

Forgive my ignorance, but sureley hasn't this been attempted before on pc, and other games consoles?
    There must be reasons why we cannot recreate retail disks.

For example take a pc game, if we are to attempt to make a real 1:1 copy of a disc, then wouldn't a pc game work without the need for a no-cd crack?

There are/were protections, which was copied flawlessly, there are methods to fake some special data, but none of them made 100% identical replications (advanced protections can detect the emulation/mod-chips).

And on the other hand: crack-ing a game is an achievement to be proud of, unlike just making an image-file. (the no-cd purpose is to play w/o cd... even if it's original)

Quote Originally Posted by ricopicouk View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but sureley hasn't this been attempted before on pc, and other games consoles?
    There must be reasons why we cannot recreate retail disks.

For example take a pc game, if we are to attempt to make a real 1:1 copy of a disc, then wouldn't a pc game work without the need for a no-cd crack?
    I have an idea on how to create a perfect 1:1 copy of ps3 games, if one could find an industrial blu-ray burner (the kind they use to mass produce videogames) then i believe that you could burn a bootable game one to one... but i think that would be just as likely for someone to have laying around as an electron microscope...

... i feel as though a few years ago i've seen some people trying to get a full binary dump of a disc, could prove useful in combination of what we now know about hardwhere.

If the games are produced the same way for the ps3 as the ps2 was they don't burn them as they are stamped by a glass press which cost over $10,000 i believe and to get a hold of one of those machines could be quite a feat in itself, so getting a blu-ray burner that burns would not put you any further ahead.

Unless i am wrong on this i apologize then but i believe this is how the ps3 games are also made.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News