How to clean your PS3 40 gig (not 60 gig) by testing your fans... horizontal video shown below:

1. First turn off the PS3, take off all cables except the power cable, and then place the PS3 vertically with the PS3 logo being upside down.

2. Hold down the eject button, and turn on the PS3. Immediately pick the PS3 up off of the table about five to six inches, so the air can circulate with out bringing back in the dust. This would run for twenty seconds, the red light power light would flash.

3. Flip the PS3 so the logo would be right side up, and turn the PS3 off and then on.

For 60 gig PS3:

1. First turn off the PS3, take off all cables except the power cable, and then place the PS3 vertically with the PS3 logo being upside down. Turn on the PS3 it then would do a fan test, I my self think that it’s a safety feature that Sony made so the fans would run on max when the PS3 was placed on the fans so it would not over heat. I don’t know if this helps but this does work as I saw dust come out.

2. Flip the PS3 so the logo would be right side up, and the PS3 would stop running the fans on max.

Autoclean video: