Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post Tutorial: Windows remote desktop, instead of painful emulation

Sponsored Links
    After seeing too many people interested on emulating windows under PS3, which is a bit stupid under my point of view for several reasons which I'm not going to describe here, i decided to post a mini guide about how to remote control a windows computer.

Supposing that everyone wanting to emulate windows already has windows box running in his/her LAN, just connecting to the running box may be much more reliable than trying to emulate it. Otherwise just stick to linux and forget windows. I must say that i don't use windows usually, i work with computers using different UNIX flavors, but i also like to do some ham radio at my spare time, and this forces me to use windows to control my ICOM PCR-1000 communications receiver so i use rdesktop to control my radio equipment from UNIX boxes, which may apply for windows usage from PS3.

Lets start with the topic instead of continuing with non interesting comments...

1. First of all you should password protect your user account to be able to connect trough terminal server, im not going to explain how to change your password.
    2. Next, you should add you user to the "remote desktop users" group. (Click over the steps links to view images)

Right click over "My PC" ---> Administration

Go to Users and groups ---> Users ---> Right click your user ---> properties

At the new window, go to "Member of" Tab, and press Add

A new window will appear again, then press Advanced button

Once there, press "Search now" button, select "remote desktop users" and press Accept button

Then press Accept and Accept again to finally add your user to the group

3. Enable "Terminal server services" to start automatically
      Go to services folder. Right click over "Terminal server services" ---> Properties

Set "Init type" to Automatic, and click Accept

4. Install rdesktop on your PS3 Linux

[Register or Login to view code]

5. Now run rdesktop and connect to your windows box

[Register or Login to view code]

6. Login to your windows box, with the enabled user

At last enjoy your crappy windows desktop from your HD TV at full speed including sound

Below i attach some screens here and here about PS3 remote control of my radio windows box listening for airband and receiving noaa 18 satellite weather picture.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

radio.png   noaa.png   step1.png   user1.png   user2.png  

user3.png   user4.png   user5.png   step2.png   step3.png  

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Thanks turulo +100 credits and I added the pics inline as requested.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

login.png  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by turulo View Post
    ...At last enjoy your crappy windows desktop from your HD TV at full speed including sound
    Woah now. I use Remote Desktop over the Internet every single day, but even over LAN "full speed" is hardly how I'd describe it. Won't be no Media Center launchin' goin' on!

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll put it to good use.

is this done on yellow dog? i am lost on where you're going as my ydl cant go into these things..

Both emulation and remote desktop sucks...It's better to use ur pc. Until $ony gives support of the RSX under linux and wine gets recoded for ppc there isn't any major thing we can do.

The ppc linux application are very little compared with windows applications. Hopefully we will run photoshop under ps3 someday!

Cheers!

Good tutorial, well written and simple.

quick question, do i need to set up a VPN tunnel on my router?

Quote Originally Posted by 21Scarface21 View Post
    quick question, do i need to set up a VPN tunnel on my router?
    If your PS3 and the windows box are on the same LAN, no changes are required into your router.

If you want to connect to a windows box over the internet, then the router holding the windows, must be configured to forward 3389 tcp port to that box.

And yes, YDL can also use rdesktop, just search for a PPC binary of rdesktop, or compile it from source code.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST0RM53 View Post
    The ppc linux application are very little compared with windows applications. Hopefully we will run photoshop under ps3 someday!
    You can compile any existing open source application for PS3 PPC, that includes BSD, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and many other applications from UNIX based oses, that makes a huge number of software for your PS3.

About photoshop, don't even expect to see it natively released for linux, or expect a good perfomance emulating it, just use it trough remote desktop, or take a look to "the gimp" it will do most of what photoshop does, with some limitations. Also if you have a "windows 2000 or 2003 server" box, you can use rdesktop to launch just the desired application inside your linux desktop, instead of remote control of the hole windows desktop.
    Last edited by turulo; 06-17-2007 at 02:40 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by turulo View Post
    If your PS3 and the windows box are on the same LAN, no changes are required into your router.

If you want to connect to a windows box over the internet, then the router holding the windows, must be configured to forward 3389 tcp port to that box.
    so what are u saying? i should connect a an ethernet cable to the ps3 from the router and another ethernet cable connecting the pc to the router and another connecting the router to my modem? i have done this and all i get (when entering the required info in the terminal) is: "ERROR: connect: Connection refused" what do i do?

I assume that you are connecting from the PS3 to the windows box which is located on the same local area network.

ERROR: connect: Connection refused.

That error can mean three things:

1.- Terminal server service isn't enabled, Check the third step at the tutorial, and make sure that the "Status" from the "Terminal server" service is marked as active. (On the screenshot from a spanish windows xp, it says "Estado del servicio: iniciado", on english it must be something like "Service status: running")

2.- Your windows firewall is currently blocking the incoming connections, so you must allow "remote desktop" or "terminal server" incoming connections at your firewall which use the 3389 tcp port. This can be managed at the windows control panel --> security center, or in advanced configuration of the network adapter. For the tests you can disable the whole firewall, and enable it later allowing just "remote desktop" connections.

3.- You are trying to connect to the wrong IP address.

Hope this helps you.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News