Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Cool Tutorial : Linux To PC FTP File Transfer

Sponsored Links
    This is for those people without a External HDD who would like to transfer BIG files from their Linux ready PS3 to their PC. Ok, Lets get started.

What You Need
    Linux Enabled PS3 (Duh?)
    Network\Internet Connection
    Brain Power (I might need to think about this one )
    FTP Server [Windows]

OK!, Lets get started!

Install the FTP server etc.. ok now lets set the FTP Server up. And make a New Connection.

Select your Network IP (we will tranfers files over the network, as i dont think i would like to transfer an 8GB file over the internet... ) Your network IP should begin with 192.168.0.X the last digit should be a random number ether 1 2 3 4... etc.. Then click OK.

Now lets create a new User!

Click on New User and then Add user. Fill in the user info like me and Brows for your FTP directory (A Blank Folder), BUT DONT CLICK OK YET!

Now click on the hand Icon.

Now tick EVERYTHING! and click OK

And then click OK on the user information box thingy you filled in.

Now Click Close on the window.

Now lets start the server UP!

Now you should see this.

OK, get onto your Linux Enabled PS3 as root and open a command terminal. Make sure you have the file you would like to send in the /root/ directory. In the command terminal type.

Code:
    ftp 192.168.0.X
    The X stands for YOUR network IP connection. You change that.

Now enter your username and password or press enter for your password if you didnt type one in. (Like Me! )

You should now be connected to your PC!

now type.

Code:
    put FileNameYouWouldLikeToSend.File
    E.G: Lets say i want to send a file named YAY.iso

Code:
    put YAY.iso
    easy enough?

(if you want to quit the ftp on linux type quit)

When sending you should see this.

and thats about it =S Reply if you need help.

Thx.
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Last edited by Gunner54; 11-28-2007 at 07:37 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I gave ya some Rep points and make this a STICKY for now.. nice job!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thank you =D! the transfer is about 2MB/ps so it takes 512 Seconds per GB thats about.. 8.5Mins per GB so... its slow but just think.

Linux > External HDD takes about 4-5Mins per GB and then you have to do an External HDD > PC that takes another 4-5Mins per GB so really its the same time just a little less work for the human body xD ehm can i ask. If you added the FTP.zip? its XlightFTP Server.

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner54 View Post
    thank you =D! the transfer is about 2MB/ps so it takes 512 Seconds per GB thats about.. 8.5Mins per GB so... its slow but just think.

Linux > External HDD takes about 4-5Mins per GB and then you have to do an External HDD > PC that takes another 4-5Mins per GB so really its the same time just a little less work for the human body xD ehm can i ask. If you added the FTP.zip? its XlightFTP Server.
    Is that a PS3 Hardware Network Limitation? If I have 2 Gigabit Cards over a Custom Gigabit Router I should reach speeds of over 50MB/s since I have 5 Hard Drives in RAID 0.

I think there are three traps to avoid :

1) If your XP is working in Internet Connection Sharing mode (ICS), it will be using 192.168.0.1 without saying it. When you activates ICS it doesn't even warn you that IP address of your PC is changed and now fixed.

2) Before writing 'put', it may be safer to write 'binary'. That says to ftp that it's a binary transfert. Otherwise it may be willing to transform new line and carriage return characters if it decides to do so. It's because on Mac it's 10 for ending a line. On linux it's 13. On windows it's 10 and 13...

3) If you want to really enjoy 1Gbit/s, beside, of course to have all your network adapters compatible with 1Gbit/s, you may need to disconnect your local network from devices like modems. I don't know how it's calculated, but sometimes the packets are not going directly from your PC to PS3 or the reverse. Sometimes it goes inside the modem, make a trip somewhere and come back to the local network. If modem is limited to 1024 bit/s for example, your transfert will be limited that way. Sounds silly, but really happens and seems to be a bit random. Make a try, if it's damn slow, disconnect modem and retry. You will be estonished...
    Last edited by pompomgirl; 02-11-2008 at 11:13 AM

To transfer files between my linux PS3 and my windows PC I simply setup an samba server on the PS3. Although I haven't tried to copy large file (i.e. files in the GB range) via the samba connection, it works fine for other files.

The samba setup is easy (at least on an ubuntu linux): Simply install it (when not done already) using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba
    (it may ask you your password doing it).

Then edit the samba configuration file (I like using the nano editor for such things):
    Code:
    sudo nano -w /etc/samba/smb.conf
    and scroll down to the share definition section. Either you can setup whatever shares you wan't or enable remote access to your ps3 home user directory, by uncommenting those lines (the configuration file is commented, so it's easy to have an idea about what you're doing). If you want to write to your home dir you should also alter the key "writable" to "yes". Also I use
    the "valid users" option. So finally my Homes section looks like
    Code:
    [homes]
      comment = Home Directories
      browsable = no
      valid uses = %S
      writable = yes
    I also set
    Code:
    security = user
    and
    Code:
    encrypt passwords = true
    in the authentification section of the file.

To commit the changes to the samba daemon, save the config file and then restart the server:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    All to do is tell the samba user data base your password, since samba can't use the linux password file:
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a USERNAME
    where USERNAME is your -guess it- username. I use the same password here as I use for my linux account. Done.

To access your PS3 linux box, simply enter the IP of your PS3 in the windows explorer:
    Code:
    \\192.168.XX.YY
    , then the windows password window should pop up, you enter your ps3 username and the password used above and gain access to your home dir on the linux box.

If PC runs normal OS (Linux or OSX or whatever), then the best way is to setup NFS. However, for windoze PC Samba is indeed the best solution.

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News