Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post PS3 YLOD Easy Washer Fix Tutorial

Sponsored Links
    People, I don't know if any of you guys came across this but a guy posted his method for fixing the YLOD and it is indeed very simple. The guy just used some washers to apply some pressure over the CPU and the GPU.

To quote : "Since we see quite often people here in forums asking for help regarding YLOD, I wanted share my alternative method for repairing YLOD since I consider it to be easier and it doesn't require complete dissassembly. This method has also worked for GLOD(green light of death - all lights seem normal but no video/audio output and controllers won't sync). I have sent email to gilksy some time ago to get my method to his guide, but since he hasn't replied I decided to post my method here. I actually discovered this first time some time before gilksy published his guide but since hadn't much experience using this I didn't post this.

Since problem is very similar to xbox's RROD the fix fundamental is similar: add pressure to GPU and CPU. I tried various things(shim etc.) before I figured out what would be the best solution for adding pressure.

I come across following solution:

You need just 4 big washers(diameter 40mm, hole 8mm and 1mm thick. You can find these every hardware store for less than 1euro.) to do this.

So you have to remove upper cover, blu-ray drive and PSU. It's fairly easy and you can find tutorials for it from this site or youtube and I don't cover it here.

What you have to do is to put washers on the screws which holds the cooler blocks in place.(arrows in the photo)

Just screw screws as tight you can get them with reasonable force. I recommend using turn by turn technic so that both screws gets about same amount pressure whole time. You can't screw them too tight because of type of the screws.

You have to cut out small piece of one washer(which goes to screw on lower right in photo) due metal clip used for attaching PSU and memory card reader. Dremel or something similar is good for cutting.

edit: I added a photoshopped photo for clarification.

Because of washers thickness it adds some pressure and because washers size it produces pressure from larger area.

Adding these washers have been enough for all PS3s I have come across. I'm sorry because I don't have any photos of washers assembled since I don't have any unit under repair right now and I have lost my old photos regarding my repair method...

Please post your experiences here about the fix."

Kudos to NOkk3r1 for sharing his method!
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic3.jpg  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the guide - this certainly helps those without an oven or concern over heat gun use.

One question: is there any statistical data that can be provided that shows how many times this method (alone) fixed specific issues (xyz-LOD)?

From what I have been able to gather - it seems that a proper solder reflow technique fixes close to 100% of the YLOD issue.

Also, any reliability data would be useful.

For example: from what I can gather from proper solder reflow, it seems that a little less than half eventually fail sometime (I would say within months) after fixing the issue. Any data on this method would be useful.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    He said that every PS3 he tried got fixed using this method. But that is also a little vague. It could be... erm... 2... hahahahah
    But this method virtually can't screw your ps3 up so it's worth a try for every YLODed ps3 out there. And cheap too since it only needs 4 metallic washers. NOkk3r1 said his ps3 has been working flawlessly for a year after using this method.

wow. i believe this to be true. One question though. How can washers fix the YLOD? or at least put pressure on the CPU/GPU?

Well, YLOD happen because the heating / cooling of ps3 systems gets the solder to crack and due to that some of them lose contact. Using the heating gun people try to get those solders to reapply themselves or something like that. The principle behind this pressure method is to get those soldering points that lost contact to reacquire them by pressure. Then again, I never tried this method myself so I can't guarantee anything. I don't even know if it works But it's cheap and worth a try IMO.
    Cheers

The purpose of heating the board/parts or placing the PCA in an oven is to reflow the solder. The heating/cooling/cracking comment is accurate. Board flex/vibration/etc. is also a contributor to broken solder joints.

Although limited data, the 1year fix on a single system is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    Well, YLOD happen because the heating / cooling of ps3 systems gets the solder to crack and due to that some of them lose contact. Using the heating gun people try to get those solders to reapply themselves or something like that. The principle behind this pressure method is to get those soldering points that lost contact to reacquire them by pressure. Then again, I never tried this method myself so I can't guarantee anything. I don't even know if it works But it's cheap and worth a try IMO.
    Cheers
    thanks lol. But I'm thinking about getting a 60GB YLOD PS3 from Ebay cause I have to give mines to my cousin. I'm asking if doing this method can fix it if its already on YLOD. I know you said you didn't do it yet but if anyone knows, please reply. Thanks!

i got an 60gb launch ps3 with a ylod. First time i had it i used the heatgun method and it workd fine for a month now heatgun won't work. Do you think i should try the washer trick or just put it on ebay?

Banned User
    try the washer trick and if it doesn't work sell it on ebay.. would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by zeron824 View Post
    thanks lol. But I'm thinking about getting a 60GB YLOD PS3 from Ebay cause I have to give mines to my cousin. I'm asking if doing this method can fix it if its already on YLOD. I know you said you didn't do it yet but if anyone knows, please reply. Thanks!
    just bought a 60gb YLOD on ebay last night for $95.

unsure of the FW version but I'll definitely try this when I get it (hopefully tomorrow lol)

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News