Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Post PS3 Test / Tool FAQ

Sponsored Links
    So, you have gotten your hands on a PS3 TEST - congratulations are in order!

Now, your unit may be know as a PS3 TEST, a PS3 DEV, a PS3 DEBUG, a PS3 DEBUGGER, its all the same unit. I may intermix on the names, but they are all the same unit!

PS3 Hacking Guides and Tutorials for Newbies

1. What can my TEST do?

Simply put, your PS3 TEST can do just about everything your Retail PS3 can, with a few exceptions:

The TEST can:
    • Run debug code from HDD, BD/DVD, PC
    • Run retail code from HDD, BD

The TEST can not:
    • Playback any Blu-Ray Movies from Blu-Ray Disc
    • Playback any DVD Movies from DVD
    • Download Retail game patches
    • Run Retail firmware
    • Play Copied Games [see #4]

2. Ok, so how do I develop?

First off, you need to know what you are doing, and you are going to need the SDK - which will not be provided here, you can get it at [Register or Login to view links]

Upon grabbing that, and getting it set up properly, you should then upgrade your PS3 TEST to at least firmware version 2.00, as starting firmware 2.00 there is a Debugger Mode, which makes running code very easy.

Basically, in this debugger mode, you can execute and debug code from a PC, right to the PS3 with ease.

3. How do I dump the Hypervisor/Kernel?

You can not, at least not yet!

4. How do I play copied games?

Short answer is - you can not. Long answer is, you can. Basically, somehow you need to obtain a debug signed executable(s), and use the original game disk to decrypt all of the content, then remaster it. Simply put, it is not worth it- if you have the original game, just use it. If you got a PS3 TEST for this reason, sell it here.

5. How do I use the BD Emulator?

First off, you need to have at least firmware version 2.00, furthermore you need to have the proper tools, namely the BD Image Generator to properly master the game. Further information may be provided in the future.

6. What are all of these debug options, and what do they do?

Many of them are self explanatory, but in the near future, I will write something up in regards to these.

7. What are the benefits/losses of each firmware upgrade?

There are a few big mentions, 1.60? added support for Music/Pictures/Video support on the TEST, 2.00 added debugger mode, BD emu, and others. More details will come soon.

8. My game requires a patch - how can I play online?

You can try changing the NP environment under the debug settings from np to sp-int . NP is the Playstation Network (retail) , while sp-int is a developer one.

So, by changing it to sp-int, it will check the developer network for an update - hopefully you can find one, they tend to disappear quite quickly.

You can not use the "np" (retail psn) network as TEST's after 1.60 can not decrypt retail packages, so you would get an error on the PKG attempting to install!

9. How many different models of PS3 TEST's are there?

There are quite a few different models, not including prototypes. However the main models are the:

Legend:

A- America
    J- Japan
    S- Show (No Test Markings)
    E- Unknown
    DEH - Prototype
    DECR - Final Unit

DEH-10000(AS-E) - Prototype PS3 TEST units. Feature a very translucent case (see-thru), no TEST markings at all. Some units feature PROTOTYPE stickers, while others do not (they were on the packing box, instead)

DECHA00(A/J)(S) - Just like a 60GB retail unit, Hardware B/C

DECHJ00(A/J)(S) - Like a 40GB retail unit, Only supported in SW ver 2.17 and later* Perhaps 2.30 and later, according to one of our DEVS

DECH-2000(A/J)(S) - Slim line debugger, features a 120GB HDD, HW like the current slim units

Other "off label" units do exist, they tend to be DEBUG firmware installed on the first run of retail systems for in house TESTING, so they may lack the proper stickers, however usually do have the proper TEST markings.

There are also a few other models, such as the AV Testing Tool, however the only major difference from above, is a firmware update, vs a console change. It allows mastered BD-ROM code to be run from BD-R, to facilitate the testing for BD movies / interactives, as well as to enable/disable HDCP, and to change the BD-ROM region.

What If I have a model that is not listed here? If so, Please mail me, or reply.

9. What about other development kits?

There are many other development kits, which will be documented here.

CEB-10XX - The first PS3 development units, they were about the size of a end table, dual PSU's, have an Ethernet connector for debugging - but not via Ethernet, via a proprietary cabling (don't use an ethernet card to it!)

CEB-20XX - Smaller, but still bulky, about 4U in height, there were multiple revisions in this area, the main difference was the Graphics Adapter, CPU Speed and amount of Memory.

DEH-R1000/R1010/R1020 - Do not have too much information on these units, but they are just like the R1030's, but lack the prototype BD-ROM drive. Like all of the other TOOL Prototypes (DEH) feature 2X HDMI ports, 3X LAN ports (+1 DEV LAN), AV multi out + VGA out.

DEH-R1030 - The Latest units with a prototype BD-ROM drive (half height, tray loaded) drives. Like all of the other TOOL Prototypes (DEH) feature 2X HDMI ports, 3X LAN ports (+1 DEV LAN), AV multi out + VGA out.

DEH-R1040 - The first units with a slot loaded drive. Like all of the other TOOL Prototypes (DEH) feature 2X HDMI ports, 3X LAN ports (+1 DEV LAN), AV multi out + VGA out, as well as analog outputs. As you can tell, it is pretty much a final unit, to the point that, they look identical from the outside. See the picture for the DECR-1000 Below!

DECR-1000 - Final development kit. About 2U in height, rackmountable. Features 6 USB ports, two of the ports are marked for the "rear" , to simulate the missing rear USB ports on the retail PS3. Like all of the other TOOL Prototypes (DEH) feature 2X HDMI ports, 3X LAN ports (+1 DEV LAN), AV multi out + VGA out. However, 2nd HDMI port, and 2 of the lan ports are covered. But, features analog audio outputs! Also has 512MB of system memory.

And, of course, the REAR of the DEH/DECR units (generally the same, sans 1-2 listed changes)

DECR-1400A - Newest kit, is the same case as a TEST PS3, has 512MB system ram vs the TEST's 256MB. For more information, click here

And, the Rear (notice the 2X LAN connectors, one for the PS3, one for DEV

If you perhaps happen to have one of the above kits, or one that is not listed please mail me immediately.

Have a question that I did not list here? Reply with it, I will add it in, and answer it!

This FAQ is Copyright © 2014 PS3News.com.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

ceb-20xx.jpg   ceb-1020.jpg   deh-r1000.jpg   deh-r1030.jpg   deh-r1040.png  

deh-decr-rear.png   decr-1400.jpeg   decr-1400-rear.jpeg  
    Last edited by CJPC; 02-04-2010 at 03:34 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    How about this for a test unit, one that doesn't start with a DEC, instead its a cechk01. Thx to ps3news.com I was able to figure out what this unit was but why does it have a retail unit serial beats me >.>

Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

xkvu3c.jpg   hrhlqt.jpg  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    According to [Register or Login to view links] there seems to be a TEST version aimed at BD development called PlayStation® 3 AV Testing Tool. Here's some info:

The PlayStation® 3 AV Testing Tool hardware is available for companies to purchase to test BD movie discs on PS3 before replication and development for advanced features on the Blu-ray Disc™ format.

The hardware currently supports the following features with additional features in development:

• Capability to play BD-ROM master images on BD-R/RE
    • Region changing capability (supports changing between BD region A/B/C)
    • Switching HDCP On/Off

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    PlayStation® 3 AV Testing Tool.
    I was thinking of applying for one... but after some thought even if it the total cost was just above a retail unit (which it likely isn't) it probably has such a barebones xmb as is utterly stripped of features that one would have to seriously question themselves if it is worth it..

But maybe with the hopes of games being released with movies also on them... there is a very tiny slight chance sony could release updates for developers producing both film and games that would add the ability.. (~just me dreaming~)....

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    I was thinking of applying for one... but after some thought even if it the total cost was just above a retail unit (which it likely isn't) it probably has such a barebones xmb as is utterly stripped of features that one would have to seriously question themselves if it is worth it..
    How can a DEBUG/TEST unit be purchased legally? Are they sold somewhere or they fall under NDA from Sony and can only be bought from them by licensed developers?

Banned User
    You have to apply directly through them to be able to get one.. and yea, surely a NDA.

Hey guys, thanks for the extra information. I have also added a ton of other information in regards to other DEV kits, with pictures!
    Last edited by CJPC; 08-28-2009 at 05:59 PM

Updated the FAQ, added #8 (and moved #8 -> #9) about playing games online that require patches!

Sponsored Links