Permanently Disable the PS3 Scrolling Ticker Tutorial
Permanently Disable the PS3 Scrolling Ticker Tutorial (Requires DNS Blacklisting) by stone_boys (via psx-scene.com/forums/content/tutorial-3258/)
Tutorial to permanently disable the PS3 Ticker... Sometimes called XMB scrolling ticker, XMB advertisting ticker, or XMB news ticker.
2. Ability to blacklist a DNS domain for the PS3 using OpenDNS, local router, or other method.
1. FileZilla (or other FTP client)
Steps to follow:
1. Start Multiman and use FileZilla (FTP client) to connect (or use mmOS directly)
2. Delete /dev/hdd0/tmp/explore/nsx/db.xml
3. Delete all applicable folders containing a file named getmanifest under /dev/hdd0/tmp/explore/nsx/
4. Blacklist ndmdhs.com or us.np.adproxy.ndmdhs.com through OpenDNS, local router, or any other method to blacklist the DNS domain
5. Restart PS3
After restart, the db.xml gets recreated, but since the DNS domain is blacklisted the folder and the getmanifest file isn't be created.
Be careful which folders you delete as some people may use /dev/hdd0/tmp/explore/nsx/ folder to install homebrew or show additional software on XMB.
That's it. Enjoy. Maybe somebody can build on this and find another way.
Possible option for Multiman
Maybe Deank can put an option in Multiman to delete this info and/or make the nsx folder immutable (unsure if PS3 has this ability).
My motivation for providing this:
I was banned from the PlayStation Network. The ticker really annoyed me and since I can't to use PSN anymore, why should Sony get to put advertisements on my console? I've also seen other ask if this can be done.
Things that didn't work regarding /dev/hdd0/tmp/explore/nsx/
1. Renamed nsx folder to nsx_old. After restarting the PS3, a new nsx folder was created.
2. Changing permissions of nsx folder to 000. After restarting the PS3, nsx folder was renamed to nsx_yyyymmddhhmmss_00 and a new nsx folder was created.
3. I was hoping to find a way to change the username/group ownership of the nsx folder, but haven't found a way. I assume it won't work either based on other attempts.