I got this to work on my T-Mobile phone (Samsung T-819 model) that has T-Zones (the cheap $6 internet plan). I haven’t been able to test this with any other phones, but hopefully you can get it to work with yours.

Also, for some reason “yum install” didn’t work too well with installing wvdial (the program needed for connecting dialup modems) because I always had dependency issues. I had to search a bunch for the correct RPMs, but eventually I found them.

WHAT YOU NEED:

1. Cell phone with an internet plan
2. USB data cable (I haven’t been able to get it to work with Bluetooth, but that’s another project for me)
3. wvdial (see below)

WALKTHROUGH

1. Download the following RPMs
libwvstreams-4.4-1.fc8.ppc.rpm
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/8/ppc/libwvstreams-4.4-1.fc8.ppc.html

wvdial_1.60-3.fc8.ppc.rpm
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/8/ppc/wvdial-1.60-3.fc8.ppc.html

2. Connect your phone to the PS3 via the USB data cable

Thanks to Dave’s tech blog (http://davestechsupport.com/blog/2008/02/28/how-to-connect-linux-to-your-cellular-internet/), I have steps 3-6. Refer to the Web site above for more details.

3. Open up Terminal (make sure you’re logged in as root) and type in:
Code:
wvdialconf
and press Enter. YDL will now look for modem devices. Once your phone is found, compatibility will be tested.

4. Once returned to the terminal prompt type:
Code:
gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
and press Enter.

What will appear will look something like this:
Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init2=ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type=USB Modem
; Phone=<Target Phone Number>
ISDN=0
; Username=<Your Login Name>
Init1=ATZ
; Password=<Your Password>
Modem=/dev/ttyUSB0
Baud=460800
5. Modify the config file and save according to your cell phone service provider.

T-MOBILE
Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem Type=USB Modem
Phone=*99#
ISDN=0
Username=user
Init1=ATZ
Password=pass
Modem=/dev/ttyUSB0
Baud=460800
SPRINT
Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem Type=USB Modem
Phone=#777
ISDN=0
Username={your phone number}@sprintpcs.com
Init1=ATZ
Password={your four digit access code}
Modem=/dev/ttyUSB0
Baud=460800
New PPPD=Yes
ISDN=0
After modifying this file, Sprint users must edit an additional file. Type in:
Code:
gedit /etc/ppp/peers
Add these two lines to the file:
Code:
lcp-echo-failure 0
lcp-echo-interval 0
VERIZON WIRELESS
Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem Type=USB Modem
Phone=#777
ISDN=0
Username={your phone number}@vzw3g.com
Init1=ATZ
Password=vzw
Modem=/dev/ttyUSB0
Baud=460800
NOTE: Take note of the Modem= line. This will tell you where your phone is connected. /dev/ttyUSB0 is the first USB port on the PS3, /dev/ttyUSB1 is the second port, and so on.

I wasn’t able to find how the config file would look if an AT&T phone was plugged in.

6. Now, with the file modified, you SHOULD be able to run wvdial by typing in the terminal window:
Code:
wvdial
The program will work its magic, and if this did work for you and you get connected… YOU’RE ALL SET! You’re ready to go on your favorite Internet Browser using your phone as the modem. In order to disconnect from the internet, press CTRL+C.

Now, if you don’t get a connection (I didn’t get one… but I think it’s because I have T-Mobile), you’ll have to continue with the walkthrough. Yeah… it’s a whole lot of work for something that you may not use, but you’ll thank me either when you’re travelling with your PS3 and want to connect to the internet or you’re moving into a new place and haven’t connected internet there yet (which is what I’m going through right now).

7. On your desktop (I use GNOME), click on Applications, then System Tools, then Network.

8. Click on New, then click on Modem Connection.

9. The program will probe for modems, but won’t find any. Don’t worry, we’ll still get it to work. Click on OK.

10. Now you’ll want to change the modem port to where your phone is connected… in the example, it is /dev/ttyUSB0 (see note in step 5 for more details); now click on Forward.

11. On the Select Provider Screen, fill in the Phone Number, Provider Name, Login Name, and Password boxes with the information from step 5, then click on Forward.

12. On the IP Settings screen, just click on Forward.

13. A screen will show up to verify the information provided. Go ahead and click on Accept.

14. It will bring you back to the main Network Menu. Click on File, then click on Save. Click on OK… And now click on the modem setting you just created, then click on Activate.

And now, you should FINALLY be connected to the internet.

Note for T-Mobile users with T-Zones: There are still some more steps you need to do in order to fully get onto the internet due to the port 8080 issues. There are two workarounds. Try them in this order:
http://www.chrisbrunner.com/2006/08/29/get-unlimited-nationwide-high-speed-mobile-internet-access-for-599mo/

If this workaround doesn’t work for you, the other is found below:
http://www.chrisbrunner.com/2008/03/23/howto-use-t-zones-to-get-unlimited-nationwide-wireless-internet-on-your-laptop-for-6mo/

I have gotten both workarounds to work.

NOW… some of you will ask the following questions:

HOW FAST?
Well, in general it’s going to be dialup speeds or maybe a bit faster. It will mostly depend on your phone and the service you have. For the first workaround for T-Mobile users, he claims “High Speed” internet with the method, but I haven’t experienced that yet (another person on that website agrees with me).

IS THIS LONG PROCESS WORTH IT?
I would say yes. First of all, it seems extremely long, but when you go through the steps, it really isn’t that long (even when you have T-Mobile). Also, as mentioned above, if you don’t have access or your access is currently down, this is a nice backup

ANY ISSUES?
The only one that I see so far is that I can’t seem to log into my emails. That, once again, might be a T-Mobile issue.