Before you start , make sure that everything is on the same network.
1. Start up XLink Kai first before you switch on your Playstation 3 !
2. Switch on your Playstation 3 & you should see a message that says : DNS Error . Don't panic , it suppost to do that . If you don't get the DNS error , then go to section 3 as well.
3. Now start up a Playstation 3 game with a lan option. Go to the multiplayer of the game and go to the lan option. Press Join Game.
4. No go back to XLink Kai and check the Diagnostics Mode. (Clicking that globe should take you to the screen shown below. Let it sit at that screen for a few seconds than click on the magnifying glass next to the globe in the upper right-hand corner labeled "Switch to Diagnostics Mode.")
5. In the section with the check mark, under "Network Reachable" it should read as YES. In the section with the green arrow, under "Network Card" it should read your PC's network card. Underneath that where it says "Locked" it should read as YES. If you're network card is not locked, Kai will not be able to configure your Playstation 3 correctly.
6. Now finally the moment of truth. Are your PS3 and Kai Engine configured correctly to work together...?
Click on the folder tab underneath the question mark in the upper right-hand corner labeled "Switch to Diagnostics View." There you should see a message that says "Sony PlayStation 3, configured successfully." Similar to what's seen below in the picture... Yes , it's a picture of a PS2, but if it says : configured successfully, then your ok to go. It's also possible that you only see a mac adress , when it's not red your also ok to go.
7. This is the configuration I had to do to make XLink Kai work for me. Those that I've helped with their setups using this same configuration have pretty much all been successful if they've followed the directions. There are also other methods of conneting your computer & Playstation 3 to the Kai engine, such as the Dual NIC method, which can be found in the XLink Setup Help section. I hope this helps any of you having problems with your XLink...
8. Once you finished playing on XLink Kai & you want to play on the PSN Network again , close XLink Kai & restart your Playstation 3. There will be no DNS Error & you will be able again to play on PSN.
I would like to thank XLink Kai and Gtplanet.net for the help with this Guide.
- original tutorial by M1k3_NL
- transfer and minor edits by (-TU-)Kovert-xX
Here is a list of PlayStation 3 Games (with a lan option) that work with XLink Kai:
Since much of us like to play online even with a Jailbroken Console Xlinkai seems to be a really great option here. There are much more games compatible right now. I can confirm the following games to run fine:
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty W at W
OFP Dragon Rising
Rainbow Six Vegas
Unreal Tournament 3
Armored Core 4
Blazing Angels 2
Formula 1 Championship
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Kane & Lynch Dead Man
Red Dead Redemption
Red Fraction Guerrilla
Saints Row 2
I have been on kai so long, it's about time I make a noob proof guide.
1. Your ps3 must be connected to the computer running kai directly. (You can still use wireless from the laptop to the router)
2. The correct port from your xlink kai must be forwarded in the router settings to the laptop ip (default is 10000). However, the noob proof way is to set the DMZ forwarding settings to your laptop or computer ip running kai.
3. Start up kai first
4. Turn on your ps3
5. In network settings for the ps3, Choose the settings custom > wired > everything automatic and disable upnp. At the end, when the ps3 runs the network configuration test, IP Address : Found and DNS : error. This means it is setup correctly.
6. In Kai, make sure that your ps3 is detected (it will say ps2) and it says that your network: reachable in the diagnostics settings of kai.
7. Verify that your orbital server is Tx Arizona, as most players are on this orbital. Not being on the same orbital makes it so that you cannot see other games 90 percent of the time.
8. If everything checks out, go into the lobby of the game you want to play (you do not have to join arena, just be in the chat)
9. Start Multiman, choose your game, go into the lan mode of whatever game it is and get your game on.
Nice guide dvize404, I had to figure out most of this stuff on my own since no one ever wrote a guide like this so good work. I've tried going on Xlink Kai a couple of times throughout this week but no one seems to be on. When do people usually go on?