Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post How to Replace the PS3 Blu-ray Drive Laser Lens

Sponsored Links
    If you have a dead or non working Blu-ray drive here is a tutorial to help you replace your Blu-ray drives lens youself from another working Blu-ray drive or just purchasing the entire part needed (kem-400aaa).

Video here:

Please note that if you have warranty or a store receipt return/call Sony and they should be able to do it for free. But if your out of warranty or dont have any on your PS3 (for any devilsh reason), you can easily fix your PS3. (Sony charges about $150 to do it).

1) Open the top cover of the PS3.
    2) Pull out the power plug for the Blu-ray drive.

3) Carefully pull up the Blu-ray drive and unclip the data cable ribbon from PS3 drive.

4) Remove the two silver screws on top right and bottom right according to the picture (screwdriver is pointing at them)

5) Unsrew the 3 black screws to the left as well (screwdriver pointing)

6) Remove the top metal sheilding of the Blu-ray drive, exposing the guts.

7) Remove the top frame now that we are inside to reveal the laser (unscrew the screws)

8) Once that is done you should be staring at the Blu-ray laser.

9) Remove the Blu-ray lens screws

10) More screws to remove (screwdriver pointing)

11) There you go after removing all those screws the laser should easily come out, simply repeat the process for another working Blu-ray drive and extract its Blu-ray lens or just simply buy a replacement part (part #kem-400aaa) and insert it in the Blu-ray drive and start rescrewing.

Hope this can help those unfortuante with a dead bluray drive and no warranty.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

image001.jpg   image002.jpg   image003.jpg   image004.jpg   image005.jpg   image006.jpg  

image007.jpg   image008.jpg   image009.jpg   image010.jpg  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i did this and broke the cable that runs from the sensor on the top to the circuit board on the bottom im also having problems with the drive when its back together.. it wont raise the disc up to spin it the motor is spinning but the disk isnot raised, so is this down to the cable or have i gone wrong somewhere else as well?

Sponsored Links

broke cable

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISRYAN View Post
    i did this and broke the cable that runs from the sensor on the top to the circuit board on the bottom im also having problems with the drive when its back together.. it wont raise the disc up to spin it the motor is spinning but the disk isnot raised, so is this down to the cable or have i gone wrong somewhere else as well?
    the problem is cause of the cable, the cable that broke raised and lowered the disk and you will have to replace it to get it back working.

I've read on several places that people with warranty stil had to pay 150$ for the broken blue ray drive.

Is it possible to just buy a blue ray drive for the pc and stick it into the ps3?

Is it possible to just buy a blue ray drive for the pc and stick it into the ps3?
    No it will not work, if i renember it was a firmware problem (may be sign if i renember)

Big Grin How to fix blu ray drive before ordering a replacement

I figured this belonged here and maybe some other places on the forums ill let boss decide that but the other day I fixed my blu ray drive in my 60 with out spending $1.

I updated a game, RB2 and my system froze when I got it rebooted it I could no longer access any discs (cd, dvd, blu ray, games) i was ejecting and re inserting disks when I realized that the drive wasn't making any noise and also ... not spinning disks anymore they come out the exact same way i put them in.

here is how:

Ok so I’ve fixed my issue. I will run through what you will need to do to fix yours if you are having issues with the blu-ray drive and general PS3 system operations like the XMediaBar this is totally worth a shot ... I doubt this will fix any other issue. If not then your blu-ray drive/ PS3 is probably dead and needs replacement via the method listed above or by sony.

If you can, I suggest you back up your PS3 first. The menu that you will access to can fully erase your PS3 if you choose the wrong option! I do not take any responsibility! Please proceed at your own risk! If you read and follow the instructions exactly you should not loose any data! Feel free to ask questions if you are confused so you don’t make a mistake!! Sorry, I had to say it, I don’t want anyone mad at me if they make a mistake, don’t back up their data and erase it, and then blame me…

The current version of the ps3 firmware has a “recovery console”.

You access it by

1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)

2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try)

4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button

You will now have a screen with these options (I have attached a picture of this screen below)

1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
    2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
    CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
    4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
    5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
    6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. The one that fixed my blu-ray drive is option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

I REPEAT CHOOSE RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

After this, it is going to restart and bring up a screen reading something like “you have Corrupted System Data. Your PS will now replace this data” Then you choose continue and that should be it.

This option reinstalls the system files and drivers inside the PS3 with the original ones that are stored on your hard drive. In this case, it replaced a corrupted driver for the blu ray drive thus fixing my issue and hopefully yours!! This option will only replace all system files thus saving you from loosing any data that’s stored on your hard drive. Again this option does nothing to your hard drive it reads a file from the drive and rewrites it to the PS3 system.

If you want a more technical understanding of what this is really doing continue reading. DO NOT NEED TO READ THIS TO COMPLETE REPAIR. The PS3 does not boot from your hard drive as a computer does. It has a flash memory like a cell phone that stores all system files and system firmware updates that you get when the PS3 updates. This is why reformatting your hard drive will not fix your problem, none of the system files are stored on your hard drive (ex. XMB, system firmware, etc.) nor do they run from the drive.

However, your hard drive does contain a full backup of your SYSTEM files and thus when you choose option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM it rewrites the original system files from your drive (which aren’t corrupted) back to the flash memory which is corrupted thus fixing the problem.

I HOPE THIS HELPS AND AGAIN DONT HESITATE TO ASK QUESTIONS!!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by THE IT GUY View Post
    I figured this belonged here and maybe some other places on the forums ill let boss decide that but the other day I fixed my blu ray drive in my 60 with out spending $1.
    Yep, here is a good place for it... and +Rep to you for sharing this also!

Thank you very much!!

post #6 wasn't able to solve my bd problem, guess ill have to replace my drive..

I was never able to hear the double beep after the initial beep. What does this mean. Do I have something more serieous than a corrupt driver?

My PS3 currently does not play any disks I insert. I only get the swirling wheel in the upper-right hand corner. I do hear movement from the disk player for about two seconds and then it stays quiet. It never does anything else.

I hope somebody was able to fix their disk player using the mentioned method in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News