Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Tried and Tried again

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by THE IT GUY View Post
    I figured this belonged here and maybe some other places on the forums ill let boss decide that but the other day I fixed my blu ray drive in my 60 with out spending $1...
    I followed your instructions and did receive the message about my hard disk file being corrupted and will be restored. Did not solve the problem. When I did the process over (to make sure I did it correct) I still received the same message about the disk file being corrupted, do you know if this means something else is wrong and files can't be fixed?

Fletch

Sponsored Links

Cool

Sponsored Links
    na you probably are not doing it right... (system off) hold the power button until the ps3 turns on (keep holding the button) and then the ps3 will beep and turn off. Now release the power button and then hold the power button again and do not let go until you hear a double beep. it will always take 2 trys like this.

that last post is directed at OneWhoWantsItAl

fletcha what you described is what will normally occur after selecting option 3 so you did that correct I would now try replacing your drive which if you read below fixed my ps3 when it broken again about 30 days after fixing it the first time...

more news from me

my ps3 which was fixed by the recovery console method in 2.52 was again broken by 2.53 this time my method would not fix my console i still suspect the software somehow messed with my ps3...

anyways ive fixed my issue AGAIN after tuns of reading... by replacing the laser assembly in my ps3, it now plays discs what a concept...

My conclusions leave me with 2 options which i discuss below and they intertwine with each other and I suspect that they help cause each other due to the timing on the death of so may consoles directly following the resent firmware updates.

1. I suspect the update increased the laser intensity and thus fried my laser as well as many others out there.
    2. Ive also read some theories about how there was a shortage of blu-ray laser diodes which put a very high demand on suppliers to produce more of the diodes thus producing bad batches which where not properly quality controlled that just happened to make it into some ps3's.

When one or both of these issues occur your ps3 is more likely to stop reading discs wether directly sonly fault due to software or by using faulty hardware either way its still sonys fault as they used faulty hardware but are unwilling to admit the wide spread issue... So it seems that the main issue revolves around systems not reading discs or reading only some kinds of discs, heres why. The difference between the original 60 and 20 GB consoles and the newer 40 - 80 - 160 GB consoles is that the newer ones use a different style laser assembly having 2 separate lasers, one that reads blu ray discs and one that reads dvds and cds. This explains why some people experience no discs playing at all (Launch Consoles 20 - 60 GB) and some people only experience no blu ray (40 - 80 - 160 GB consoles) all due to a bad laser diode due to over productions and lack of quality control.

so ya the symptoms I expereced where
    1 put a disc in and then eject it and it never moves the disc
    2 when a disc is inserted I get the bubble in the corner but the disc never loads on the screen

so if this sounds like you its time to replace the laser as it cant detect discs any more and thus does not spin them
    do this at your own risk and remember to order the correct laser assembly for your ps3.

GOOD LUCK !!
    Last edited by THE IT GUY; 12-21-2008 at 08:41 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    why would you need to replace it in the first place..?

Quote Originally Posted by fygo View Post
    I've read on several places that people with warranty stil had to pay 150$ for the broken blue ray drive.

Is it possible to just buy a blue ray drive for the pc and stick it into the ps3?
    In EU there is a 2 year warranty - you cannot be charged for having stuff you bough repaired if it got broken just by using it as designed...

ps3 bluray down & out

fletcha what you described is what will normally occur after selecting option 3 so you did that correct I would now try replacing your drive which if you read below fixed my ps3 when it broken again about 30 days after fixing it the first time...
    My console is 20gb. What laser assembly do I order for it? Do you have a recommendation on where to purchase (online or in-store)?

Thanks

thanks

thanks for the guide. my drive stopped working last week, wouldnt read anything, the recovery method has worked like a charm, i never knew it had a recovery system till this guide.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcha View Post
    My console is 20gb. What laser assembly do I order for it? Do you have a recommendation on where to purchase (online or in-store)?

Thanks
    I would take it apart and check out the laser, i know there where 3 revisions...but most likely you have the better one that was first used if you have a 20gb console.

ebay has many for around $55

na you probably are not doing it right... (system off) hold the power button until the ps3 turns on (keep holding the button) and then the ps3 will beep and turn off. Now release the power button and then hold the power button again and do not let go until you hear a double beep. it will always take 2 trys like this.

that last post is directed at OneWhoWantsItAl
    Thanks for your reply and sorry about my late reply on my part. I have since experienced the beeps as you described, but it did not work for me. I knew that the 60gb used PS3 I bought would not read disks, but I was fairly certain it would be the laser since they had been having trouble with their lasers, for whatever reason you want to attach to it.

I then bought a laser off fleabay for 62 buckaroos with shipping included and installed it according to various instructions from many sources (I am paranoid like that about screwing up my investments), including YouBoob. PS3 has been a nice addition to my other toys and the kids love the Guitar Hero X-Mas present too!

BTW, all of my PS2 games have worked without a glitch.

PS3 Drive Mechanism Troubles after replacing the LENS

hi,

i have some troubles with the mechanism of my BD LW. I got a a ps3 with dead bd lense.I have buyed a replacement one and i forgot to eject the dvd inside of drive. Now when i turn on the ps3 she recognize as a disk inserted but there is no one. I tried to eject but it is no working. So i put in a disk into the drive place all together and turn on the ps3 but the disk will not be ejected. Blue led goes out.

I found a littel metal thing from the under site.First time i disassembled nearly the whole drive.

I have a 60GB PS3. Buyed a KES 400 AAA. Drive is still locked.

Quote Originally Posted by cfwprophet View Post
    i have some troubles with the mechanism of my BD LW. I got a a ps3 with dead bd lense.I have buyed a replacement one and i forgot to eject the dvd inside of drive. Now when i turn on the ps3 she recognize as a disk inserted but there is no one. I tried to eject but it is no working. So i put in a disk into the drive place all together and turn on the ps3 but the disk will not be ejected. Blue led goes out.
    I'm going to suggest you again disassemble your PS3 and make sure that all of your components are properly fitted. Then, put it back together and it should work. I similarly, did not seat the blue ray drive correctly and as a result, would not take any disks. I then put it back together and voila!

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News