Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post How to Play PS2 Back-Ups on PS3

Sponsored Links
    This is a fairly easy process based on THIS thread... the most trouble I had was trying to figure out where to put the switch. There is no room to work with... I ended up taking out my card reader on my PS3 because i never use it and just mounted the switch there. You could possibly let it hang out.

It's up to you. Just remember that if you plan to retain original functionality as far as the drive sensor and automatic load/unload motor, you will need 2 additional small on/off switches.

The Switch I purchased:

1. Solder a wire from pin 6 to pin 1.

2. Solder a wire from pin 3 to pin 4.

3. Solder a RED wire to pin 4, and a BLACK wire to pin 1. This will be your power wires that run to your Blu-ray load/unload motor. I'd say make the length about a foot just to be safe. You can cut off what you don't need later.

4. Pin 2 and pin 5 are the power source. Doesn't matter which way you connect those. I'm using a plug-in power adapter with an output switch on it up to 12 volts. It's set at 3 volts.

That's the hard part if you can believe it. Now you gotta bust open the PS3. Very easy to do and no cutting or breaking involved.

1. Take the one bolt out on the side and slide the top off.

2. take the rest of the screws out and take the second top off. This will expose the Blu-ray drive.

3. The Blu-ray drive has 2 plug-ins that need to be unplugged. After that it comes out freely.

A. A ribbon on the bottom

B. A small plug-in on the left side

Note: Your main goal is to get to some small screws on the bottom so that you can remove the metal cover. You may choose not to unplug anything. That's up to you.

4. Take the metal top off. you will see a small circuit board with 2 wires towards the front of the drive. This is a sensor that allows the game to be sucked in. You need to disable this by either cutting the small wires, Hooking up another small switch so you still retain original functionality, or put a small piece of tape over the sensor.

5. Unscrew the plastic top and take that off. This will allow you to see much more of the drive on the inside.

6. The plastic piece I'm pointing to in the picture above needs to come off. That will allow us to see the load/unload motor. One small screw will allow you to remove this plastic part.

7. Once removed you will see the small motor which is what we're after and makes this possible. You'll see 2 small wires soldered onto the motor. RED and BLACK. You have another tough choice now, if you chose to add a switch to the load sensor above, you will need to add a switch to one of the original motor wires also. This way, when you put your game in and the sensor sucks it in, the motor will work automatically like it did to start with.

If you have the sensor turned on with a switch, you need the motor turned on auto with a switch. That's where the 2 additional switches come in if you choose to retain original functionality. If you plan to load and unload games manually you only need 1 3-way switch and can disregard anything I've said about extra switches.

The foot long wire you solder earlier to pins 4 and 1 now need to be soldered to the RED and BLACK terminals of your motor. I just touched my soldering iron to the terminals and removed the factory wires, tucked them away and soldered the ones from my switch to it.

9. And that's pretty much it. Where you plan to mount the switch or switches is up to you. The way I have mine set up is when the switch is up the motor is sucking in. I start to put a game in and it sucks it in. When the game is in and the drive engaged I turn the switch to the middle position or off. Turn on the PS3 and the original game or Swap Magic will register with the XMB.

No need to actually boot the original game or swap magic because as long as the game is recognized by the system, it has passed any media checks. Next, I flip my switch down and the drive disengages and spits my game out. I then flip the switch back up and insert my backup and turn the switch off. The whole time you do the swap, the PS3 will still say you have a game inserted. So if you choose to try this, you don't need anything special. 1-3 switches and an original PS2 game. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Additional pictures for the first post.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

11.jpg   12.jpg   13.jpg   14.jpg  

Sponsored Links

Hey !

Sponsored Links
    Does this really work ?

Quote Originally Posted by AceClemente View Post
    Does this really work ?
    It does work, but this method is really not optimal, you have to wait 8 and a half minutes for the original game to stop spinning and then EJECT the game to play your backup.

Check out the original pizzaguy thread and youll see several people ended up with a burned laser and whatnot, in my opinion is not worth is since you can get most of the ps2 titles for 20 bucks or less, your ps3 is perfect the way it is.

Or use a Emu in linux

Quote Originally Posted by B4rtj4h View Post
    Or use a Emu in linux
    hmmm.... when you find one that installs and runs in PS3 Linux, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by aries2k6 View Post
    hmmm.... when you find one that installs and runs in PS3 Linux, let me know.
    You know most of us dont really seem to remember that if you want homebrew in your lcd tv you just need to hook up a computer, you get emulators, xbox media center, games (that play with a gamepad) and most of the homebrew you are looking for and its pretty cheap and easy to do, just put a computer near your tv and there you go.

I know this is not what you are looking for but you are missing out on what you want because it cant run on the hardware you have.

mmm

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    You know most of us dont really seem to remember that if you want homebrew in your lcd tv you just need to hook up a computer, you get emulators, xbox media center, games(that play with a gamepad) and most of the homebrew you are looking for and its pretty cheap and easy to do, just put a computer near your tv and there you go.

I know this is not what you are looking for but you are missing out on what you want because it cant run on the hardware you have.
    i don't exactly get what your saying, but if your implying that for example you hook up a tv on your computer and get a ps2 emulator witch i don't think exist (i could be wrong) then that would be great if your computer can run it of course.if you could direct me to the emulators you were saying I would love to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by xxLindenxx View Post
    i don't exactly get what your saying, but if your implying that for example you hook up a tv on your computer and get a ps2 emulator witch i don't think exist (i could be wrong) then that would be great if your computer can run it of course.if you could direct me to the emulators you were saying I would love to hear more.
    Actually a simple google will get you to the emulator you want my friend and yes ps2 emulation is true and has a great compatibility list going on. Granted its not the best emulation, but if you are so desperate just buy a 50 dll ps2 and modify it to run pirated copys.

If you have the original games you should be fine with a 50 dlls ps2 or your ps3 with backward compatibility, I just dont get it why people will ruin their excelent machine to run copys of ps2 games. And another thing a lot of games are multiplatform so you can get a pc version instead of a ps2 version and run it with a gamepad.

I only have 2 things hooked to my LCD TV and thats a ps3 for my gaming needs and a full computer running hackintosh that covers my media files. Im running plex a modified xbox media center for mac os x

Quote Originally Posted by xxLindenxx View Post
    ps2 emu does exist.. and it works fine.

just need a great cpu n gfx card and your good to go!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News