Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

How to Make a Crossover Cable from CAT5 Cable

Sponsored Links
    How to Make a Crossover Cable
    By IndyColtsFan84, PS3news.com Member

If you have a LAN/Ethernet straight cable (CAT5) and you need a Crossover cable then follow these steps to make one.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You'll Need:
    • LAN/Ethernet Cable (CAT5)
    • Electrical Tape (or wire nuts)
    • Something to strip wires with (wire strippers, Exacto knife, etc.)

1. Cut the LAN/Ethernet Cable into two pieces. I suggest cutting it right down the middle of the cable.

2. Cut the casing of each cut end to expose all of the wires about 1 1/2 to 2 inches

3. Strip all the wires about 3/4 to 1 inch

4. Connect the wires as stated below:

Striped Orange TO THE Striped Green
    Orange TO THE Green
    Striped Green TO THE Striped Orange
    Blue To THE Striped Brown
    Striped Blue TO THE Brown
    Green TO THE Orange
    Striped Brown TO THE Blue
    Brown TO THE Striped Blue

5. Cut nine pieces of electrical tape about an inch and a half long and wrap 1 piece around each connection and then 1 around all the taped connections !OR! use eight wire nuts to connect the paired wires.

Congratulations! You have made a crossover cable

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thank you for posting this. This is useful info and I may use it in the future. I'll need a crossover cable to connect game systems.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Agreed, Thanks for the guide IndyColtsFan84 and +Rep!

With all due respect that's incredibly ghetto. You are much better off just learning how to make a proper cable as seen here.

Last edited by SovietSlayer; 12-24-2010 at 01:55 AM

I did this with my cable that came with the ps3 & it works perfect. 20mb/s transfers on average, ghetto or not, it works!

lol that's old school, i remember doing this when patch cables were hard to come by and expensive.

There were some little converter blocks knocking around a while back for this.

Banned User
    Yes Nice one, its good to get these tips out there for newbies, I also did this when I was stuck to connect 2 devices years ago, nearest shop with PC cables is 20 miles away so had to improvise!

But also worth mentioning that any reasonably new device especially if it has gigabit ethernet (PS3/Newer PC etc) has auto cable sensing these days and its not such a problem anymore unless working with an old PC.

P.S - I have a short 20CM crossover cable and an ethernet coupler, I just connect this to the end of any standard CAT cable and it converts it to crossover!

Thanks, i didn't know...

do you actually need a crossover cable to link the ps3 to a computer? I thought modern NICs could determine what sort of connection it was hooked up to.

Not claiming to really know, just asking for clarification. ^^

Banned User
    If your PC has gigabit ethernet then there is about 99.9% chance you won't need a crossover cable, if you have an older 100m/bit card you will need to check the specs as its not so common, some brands name it different but it will usually be called either-- Auto uplink and trade, Universal Cable Recognition, Auto cable Sensing or something similar.
    Last edited by DeViL303; 12-26-2010 at 08:07 AM

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast