How to Make a Crossover Cable
By IndyColtsFan84, PS3news.com Member
If you have a LAN/Ethernet straight cable (CAT5) and you need a Crossover cable then follow these steps to make one.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy Things You'll Need:
- LAN/Ethernet Cable (CAT5)
- Electrical Tape (or wire nuts)
- Something to strip wires with (wire strippers, Exacto knife, etc.)
1. Cut the LAN/Ethernet Cable into two pieces. I suggest cutting it right down the middle of the cable.
2. Cut the casing of each cut end to expose all of the wires about 1 1/2 to 2 inches
3. Strip all the wires about 3/4 to 1 inch
4. Connect the wires as stated below:
Striped Orange TO THE Striped Green
Orange TO THE Green
Striped Green TO THE Striped Orange
Blue To THE Striped Brown
Striped Blue TO THE Brown
Green TO THE Orange
Striped Brown TO THE Blue
Brown TO THE Striped Blue
5. Cut nine pieces of electrical tape about an inch and a half long and wrap 1 piece around each connection and then 1 around all the taped connections !OR! use eight wire nuts to connect the paired wires.
Congratulations! You have made a crossover cable